Marks & Spencer to Open Store in Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 29, 2014 5:37 PM EST
A window display is seen at a Marks & Spencer shop in central London May 21, 2013.
YouTube/MX model videos
British fashion brand Marks & Spencer is coming to Australia. In preparation for its Australian launch, the company appointed two new directors to Marks & Spencer (Australia) Pty Ltd, which had been dormant for about 7 years.
They are Anthony Clarke, assistant company secretary, and Melissa Lovell, director.
The British retailer's entry into Australia is part of chief executive officer Marc Bolland's strategy to transform Marks & Spencer from a traditional British high street retailer into an international multi-channel retailer.
With the Australian retail market already overcrowded, the foray of Marks & Spencer into the Land Down Under would also be timed with the entry of other foreign fashion chains such as H&M from Sweden and Uniqlo from Japan.
However, the Marks & Spencer retail outlet in Australia won't be large department stores similar to David Jones and Myer but would be small format stores only one-fifth the size of large retailers.
The first branch would likely be in Sydney. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Marks & Spencer is considering opening its first outlet at 333 George Street which is being redeveloped into a $250-million office and retail tower.
Marks & Spencer uses the small format retail model, measuring about 2,000 square metres in its 16 outlets in Hong Kong and 10 in Singapore where it carry fashion, beauty and gourmet food.
The British fashion icon has 766 stores across UK and runs 418 other outlets in Europe and Asia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate