Marks & Spencer to Open Store in Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 29, 2014 5:37 PM EST
A window display is seen at a Marks & Spencer shop in central London May 21, 2013.
YouTube/MX model videos
British fashion brand Marks & Spencer is coming to Australia. In preparation for its Australian launch, the company appointed two new directors to Marks & Spencer (Australia) Pty Ltd, which had been dormant for about 7 years.
They are Anthony Clarke, assistant company secretary, and Melissa Lovell, director.
The British retailer's entry into Australia is part of chief executive officer Marc Bolland's strategy to transform Marks & Spencer from a traditional British high street retailer into an international multi-channel retailer.
With the Australian retail market already overcrowded, the foray of Marks & Spencer into the Land Down Under would also be timed with the entry of other foreign fashion chains such as H&M from Sweden and Uniqlo from Japan.
However, the Marks & Spencer retail outlet in Australia won't be large department stores similar to David Jones and Myer but would be small format stores only one-fifth the size of large retailers.
The first branch would likely be in Sydney. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Marks & Spencer is considering opening its first outlet at 333 George Street which is being redeveloped into a $250-million office and retail tower.
Marks & Spencer uses the small format retail model, measuring about 2,000 square metres in its 16 outlets in Hong Kong and 10 in Singapore where it carry fashion, beauty and gourmet food.
The British fashion icon has 766 stores across UK and runs 418 other outlets in Europe and Asia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation