Marks & Spencer to Open Store in Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 29, 2014 5:37 PM EST
A window display is seen at a Marks & Spencer shop in central London May 21, 2013.
YouTube/MX model videos
British fashion brand Marks & Spencer is coming to Australia. In preparation for its Australian launch, the company appointed two new directors to Marks & Spencer (Australia) Pty Ltd, which had been dormant for about 7 years.
They are Anthony Clarke, assistant company secretary, and Melissa Lovell, director.
The British retailer's entry into Australia is part of chief executive officer Marc Bolland's strategy to transform Marks & Spencer from a traditional British high street retailer into an international multi-channel retailer.
With the Australian retail market already overcrowded, the foray of Marks & Spencer into the Land Down Under would also be timed with the entry of other foreign fashion chains such as H&M from Sweden and Uniqlo from Japan.
However, the Marks & Spencer retail outlet in Australia won't be large department stores similar to David Jones and Myer but would be small format stores only one-fifth the size of large retailers.
The first branch would likely be in Sydney. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Marks & Spencer is considering opening its first outlet at 333 George Street which is being redeveloped into a $250-million office and retail tower.
Marks & Spencer uses the small format retail model, measuring about 2,000 square metres in its 16 outlets in Hong Kong and 10 in Singapore where it carry fashion, beauty and gourmet food.
The British fashion icon has 766 stores across UK and runs 418 other outlets in Europe and Asia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS