Marks & Spencer to Open Store in Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 29, 2014 5:37 PM EST
A window display is seen at a Marks & Spencer shop in central London May 21, 2013.
YouTube/MX model videos
British fashion brand Marks & Spencer is coming to Australia. In preparation for its Australian launch, the company appointed two new directors to Marks & Spencer (Australia) Pty Ltd, which had been dormant for about 7 years.
They are Anthony Clarke, assistant company secretary, and Melissa Lovell, director.
The British retailer's entry into Australia is part of chief executive officer Marc Bolland's strategy to transform Marks & Spencer from a traditional British high street retailer into an international multi-channel retailer.
With the Australian retail market already overcrowded, the foray of Marks & Spencer into the Land Down Under would also be timed with the entry of other foreign fashion chains such as H&M from Sweden and Uniqlo from Japan.
However, the Marks & Spencer retail outlet in Australia won't be large department stores similar to David Jones and Myer but would be small format stores only one-fifth the size of large retailers.
The first branch would likely be in Sydney. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Marks & Spencer is considering opening its first outlet at 333 George Street which is being redeveloped into a $250-million office and retail tower.
Marks & Spencer uses the small format retail model, measuring about 2,000 square metres in its 16 outlets in Hong Kong and 10 in Singapore where it carry fashion, beauty and gourmet food.
The British fashion icon has 766 stores across UK and runs 418 other outlets in Europe and Asia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues