U.S. Activist & Folk Singer Pete Seeger No More, President Obama Pays Tribute
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 5:35 PM EST
American activist and folk singer Pete Seeger passed away at the age of 94 at New York hospital.
U.S. President Barack Obama has paid tribute to the singer who, according to Mr Obama, believed in "the power of community." He mentioned that there was a time when Seeger was called "America's tuning fork." Mr Obama said that the veteran singer had always stood up for what he thought was right. He spoke against what he thought was wrong and helped the country get closer to the ideal state that he had envisioned in his mind, he said.
Seeger was present when Mr Obama was about to commence his presidential tenure for the first time in 2009. Mr Obama further said that Seeger worked for civil rights and worker's rights with his voice and hammer. He also raised his voice for environmental conservation and world peace. Mr Obama also remembered that Seeger had always encouraged his audience to "sing along" with him.
Mr Obama called Seeger as someone who reminded America where it had come from and showed where it required heading to. America will ever be grateful to the great singer, he said. Mr Obama also informed that he, along with his wife Michelle, sent their prayers and thoughts to the family of the activist; BBC reported.
It was back in 1948 when Seeger rose to fame with "The Weavers" which began an illustrious career of six decades. Seeger was most famous for the songs that were more protests than musical extravaganza. His leftist inclinations eventually caused him being blacklisted by the U.S. government in the fifties. His rights to broadcast exposure were denied. Seeger spread his ethos and music in college campuses. He later called the college tours during those days as the most significant part of his career.
When he faced the Un-American Activities Committee as a part of an enquiry in 1955, he was asked if he used his music for Communists. He replied that he "greatly resented" that he could be considered any less American due to his work.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments