U.S. Activist & Folk Singer Pete Seeger No More, President Obama Pays Tribute
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 5:35 PM EST
American activist and folk singer Pete Seeger passed away at the age of 94 at New York hospital.
U.S. President Barack Obama has paid tribute to the singer who, according to Mr Obama, believed in "the power of community." He mentioned that there was a time when Seeger was called "America's tuning fork." Mr Obama said that the veteran singer had always stood up for what he thought was right. He spoke against what he thought was wrong and helped the country get closer to the ideal state that he had envisioned in his mind, he said.
Seeger was present when Mr Obama was about to commence his presidential tenure for the first time in 2009. Mr Obama further said that Seeger worked for civil rights and worker's rights with his voice and hammer. He also raised his voice for environmental conservation and world peace. Mr Obama also remembered that Seeger had always encouraged his audience to "sing along" with him.
Mr Obama called Seeger as someone who reminded America where it had come from and showed where it required heading to. America will ever be grateful to the great singer, he said. Mr Obama also informed that he, along with his wife Michelle, sent their prayers and thoughts to the family of the activist; BBC reported.
It was back in 1948 when Seeger rose to fame with "The Weavers" which began an illustrious career of six decades. Seeger was most famous for the songs that were more protests than musical extravaganza. His leftist inclinations eventually caused him being blacklisted by the U.S. government in the fifties. His rights to broadcast exposure were denied. Seeger spread his ethos and music in college campuses. He later called the college tours during those days as the most significant part of his career.
When he faced the Un-American Activities Committee as a part of an enquiry in 1955, he was asked if he used his music for Communists. He replied that he "greatly resented" that he could be considered any less American due to his work.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed