U.S. Activist & Folk Singer Pete Seeger No More, President Obama Pays Tribute
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 5:35 PM EST
American activist and folk singer Pete Seeger passed away at the age of 94 at New York hospital.
U.S. President Barack Obama has paid tribute to the singer who, according to Mr Obama, believed in "the power of community." He mentioned that there was a time when Seeger was called "America's tuning fork." Mr Obama said that the veteran singer had always stood up for what he thought was right. He spoke against what he thought was wrong and helped the country get closer to the ideal state that he had envisioned in his mind, he said.
Seeger was present when Mr Obama was about to commence his presidential tenure for the first time in 2009. Mr Obama further said that Seeger worked for civil rights and worker's rights with his voice and hammer. He also raised his voice for environmental conservation and world peace. Mr Obama also remembered that Seeger had always encouraged his audience to "sing along" with him.
Mr Obama called Seeger as someone who reminded America where it had come from and showed where it required heading to. America will ever be grateful to the great singer, he said. Mr Obama also informed that he, along with his wife Michelle, sent their prayers and thoughts to the family of the activist; BBC reported.
It was back in 1948 when Seeger rose to fame with "The Weavers" which began an illustrious career of six decades. Seeger was most famous for the songs that were more protests than musical extravaganza. His leftist inclinations eventually caused him being blacklisted by the U.S. government in the fifties. His rights to broadcast exposure were denied. Seeger spread his ethos and music in college campuses. He later called the college tours during those days as the most significant part of his career.
When he faced the Un-American Activities Committee as a part of an enquiry in 1955, he was asked if he used his music for Communists. He replied that he "greatly resented" that he could be considered any less American due to his work.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones