Presidency Ruined Francois Hollande’s Relationship with Valerie Trierweiler?
By Keerthi Mohan | January 29, 2014 4:54 PM EST
French President Francois Hollande’s relationship with Valerie Trierweiler would not have suffered a blow, had he not assumed France’s highest office, the former First Lady said in a statement on Tuesday, according to reports.
"We would still be together had he not become president,” Trierweiler told reporters accompanying her on her trip to India. Trierweiler, who is a journalist by profession and was labelled power hungry and extremely ambitious by the media, added that she would have dated Hollande even if he hadn’t become the president.
Hollande officially announced his separation from Trierweiler on Saturday, after his two-year-long affair with actress Julie Gayet made headlines. But there seems to be no animosity between the former lovers, and Trierweiler said they are constantly in touch.
“We are not at war and we are continuing to telephone each other,” Trierweiler said, according to Mail Online.
Reflecting on her time at Elysee Palace, Trierweiler said that there is a lot of back-stabbing and hypocrisy, which made life as the French First Lady a bit difficult.
"You cannot measure just how much betrayal and hypocrisy there is. You are struck by low blows without asking for anything. That's not my way of doing things," Trierweiler said, according to Daily Telegraph.
Multiple reports have it that Hollande is not yet ready to give Gayet the title of the First Lady, which comes with a lot of perks including personal staff and numerous homes across France. But Trierweiler considers it important for France to have a First Lady as the role served a purpose.
“How will we manage if there is no longer a first lady?” Trierweiler questioned. Referring to the upcoming trip of Chinese president Xi Jinping and his wife, Peng, she also wondered, “Who will look after the Chinese first lady?”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air