New Zealand Opens First Recycling Packaging Plant
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 29, 2014 3:50 PM EST
New Zealand has opened its first manufacturing plant, that will use recycled polyethylene terephthalate (PET) waste to create food grade PET packaging, on Wednesday .
The launch comes at an opportune time as New Zealanders currently consume around 17,000 tonnes of PET plastics annually.
"New Zealand retailers now have a real choice in the packaging they choose to use. It's long awaited, very exciting, and the first step towards the holy grail of closed loop recycling in New Zealand," Mike Sammons, Sustainability Manager for Foodstuffs NZ, said.
He said sustainable packaging has now become essential. "If you can demonstrate you're supplying a more sustainable product for the same price as your competitor you've got a marketing advantage."
According to Derek Lander, Flight Plastics Director, close to 90 per cent of New Zealanders want their packaging to be recyclable as well as contain possible recycled materials.
The New Zealand plant in Lower Hutt will enable food producers to buy packaging made locally from imported recycled PET flakes, for the first time.
Being able to manufacture RPET plastic products right here at the exact size and volume required means we can respond quickly and efficiently to changing customer demands, Mr Lander said.
Already, expansions are on the drawing table for the plant to produce the RPET flakes from PET drinks containers and food packaging collected at kerbside in New Zealand.
"We are currently looking at the economics of installing a wash plant to do this," Mr Lander said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff