iPhone 6 Release Date In June As A8 Chipset Production Starts - Report
By Kristin Dian Mariano | January 29, 2014 3:49 PM EST
iPhone 6 release date may come as early as June as the production of A8 processor has just begun, according to a report.
DigiTimes reported Apple has tasked three semiconductor product packaging companies to provide adequate supply for the next-generation "A8″ mobile processor for the upcoming line of iOS devices, starting with the iPhone 6.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
This triad of companies are Amkor Technology, STATS ChipPAC and Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, which will all handle packaging of the processor likely to power Apple's next iPhone and other iDevices.
Moreover, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is believed to have bumped the wafer for the successor of A7 processor. Apple and Samsung signed TSMC on as a third processor-making partner in December 2013. TMSC is expected to ramp up the production in the second quarter using 20 nm process technology. The A8 chipset is seen to deliver even more power for Apple's future line of iPhones and the next iPad and future iPad mini.
Other confirmed features that will most likely to arrive in the next iPhone are iOS 8 and fingerprint sensor. It is reported iPhone 6 will be released alongside the new version of Apple's operating system at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June. iOS 8 will come with new software features. iPhone 6 will most likely to retain its fingerprint sensor but packed with new functions and capabilities. However, Apple has not released the official details of what consumers should expect to the upcoming smartphone.
Moreover, Apple patents hinted on some of the possible specifications of iPhone 6 such as a curved or flexible screen embedded by durable material called liquidmetal and reinforced by Sapphire glass covering, an improved Siri and gestures control.
Regarding the iPhone 6 release date, Apple has not revealed any concrete date yet. Waiting fans continue to speculate on the possible arrival of the device. Some reports noted the handset will come in summer, while other reports said the smartphone will arrive in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists