Being Sexy is Not Allowed for Female Presenters on BBC, Editor Declares
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 3:40 PM EST
A BBC editor declared that a female TV presenter would appear provocative to children when she used red lipstick. Thus, such a female presenter should not be allowed in children's television. The editor also insisted that she should wipe off the lipstick before going on air.
CBBC Independents Executive Editor Melissa Hardinge expressed her concerns about how young girls were sexualised. She said that programme makers worked carefully in order to prohibit such trend. Ms Hardinge was talking at BAFTA in the children's question time panel. She believes that female presenters must not appear "too sexy." That is why they should keep a watch on how they dress up, she said.
The Telegraph (U.K.) reported that Ms Hardinge was asked regarding the latest film classification by BBFC. According to new guidelines, there seems to be a restriction for "bad languages" in U-rated films. Apparently, she got so concerned that she once talked about "fart" as a word for 20 minutes, she revealed.
Ms Hardinge was a part of the discussion which dealt with what future holds for children's television as well as the challenges entertainment and education bring at the present era. According to her, specific attention is given to the sexualisation of young girls as children are quick to make the presenters their role models.
Ms Hardinge applied her principles on the practical field as well. She mentioned that she had once gone to the sets of Friday Download and asked the presenters of the BAFTA-winning show to remove their red lipstick. She was also asked if the BBC was particular about how female presenters on the channel dressed up. She mentioned that the matter was taken into serious consideration. Female presenters should not look too sexy, she said. Ms Hardinge further added that the channel maintained strict guidelines on portraying violence on television as well.
Watch CBBC presenter Gemma Hunt and decide whether she looks "too sexy":
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date