Being Sexy is Not Allowed for Female Presenters on BBC, Editor Declares
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 3:40 PM EST
A BBC editor declared that a female TV presenter would appear provocative to children when she used red lipstick. Thus, such a female presenter should not be allowed in children's television. The editor also insisted that she should wipe off the lipstick before going on air.
CBBC Independents Executive Editor Melissa Hardinge expressed her concerns about how young girls were sexualised. She said that programme makers worked carefully in order to prohibit such trend. Ms Hardinge was talking at BAFTA in the children's question time panel. She believes that female presenters must not appear "too sexy." That is why they should keep a watch on how they dress up, she said.
The Telegraph (U.K.) reported that Ms Hardinge was asked regarding the latest film classification by BBFC. According to new guidelines, there seems to be a restriction for "bad languages" in U-rated films. Apparently, she got so concerned that she once talked about "fart" as a word for 20 minutes, she revealed.
Ms Hardinge was a part of the discussion which dealt with what future holds for children's television as well as the challenges entertainment and education bring at the present era. According to her, specific attention is given to the sexualisation of young girls as children are quick to make the presenters their role models.
Ms Hardinge applied her principles on the practical field as well. She mentioned that she had once gone to the sets of Friday Download and asked the presenters of the BAFTA-winning show to remove their red lipstick. She was also asked if the BBC was particular about how female presenters on the channel dressed up. She mentioned that the matter was taken into serious consideration. Female presenters should not look too sexy, she said. Ms Hardinge further added that the channel maintained strict guidelines on portraying violence on television as well.
Watch CBBC presenter Gemma Hunt and decide whether she looks "too sexy":
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People