Being Sexy is Not Allowed for Female Presenters on BBC, Editor Declares
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 3:40 PM EST
A BBC editor declared that a female TV presenter would appear provocative to children when she used red lipstick. Thus, such a female presenter should not be allowed in children's television. The editor also insisted that she should wipe off the lipstick before going on air.
CBBC Independents Executive Editor Melissa Hardinge expressed her concerns about how young girls were sexualised. She said that programme makers worked carefully in order to prohibit such trend. Ms Hardinge was talking at BAFTA in the children's question time panel. She believes that female presenters must not appear "too sexy." That is why they should keep a watch on how they dress up, she said.
The Telegraph (U.K.) reported that Ms Hardinge was asked regarding the latest film classification by BBFC. According to new guidelines, there seems to be a restriction for "bad languages" in U-rated films. Apparently, she got so concerned that she once talked about "fart" as a word for 20 minutes, she revealed.
Ms Hardinge was a part of the discussion which dealt with what future holds for children's television as well as the challenges entertainment and education bring at the present era. According to her, specific attention is given to the sexualisation of young girls as children are quick to make the presenters their role models.
Ms Hardinge applied her principles on the practical field as well. She mentioned that she had once gone to the sets of Friday Download and asked the presenters of the BAFTA-winning show to remove their red lipstick. She was also asked if the BBC was particular about how female presenters on the channel dressed up. She mentioned that the matter was taken into serious consideration. Female presenters should not look too sexy, she said. Ms Hardinge further added that the channel maintained strict guidelines on portraying violence on television as well.
Watch CBBC presenter Gemma Hunt and decide whether she looks "too sexy":
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal