Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolling Out To Moto X In Canada But U.S. Waits
By Karla Danica Figuerres | January 29, 2014 3:30 PM EST
Moto X has been stuck on the Android 4.4 KitKat for over 2 months until the previous week's Android 4.4.2 update. The update that started rolling out was simply a small test launch and only a few Verizon smartphone owners got the update.
Currently, there is no official statement from Motorola pointing out to when the Android 4.4.2 will be rolled out for the Moto X in the U.S. But Motorola confirmed the update will be released for the Canadian carriers while the U.S. carriers are left waiting.
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat is on its way to hit the Canadian Moto X but not mentioned when the U.S. carriers will get the update, according to Punit Soni, VP of product management of Motorola. Although this is good news for Canada, it is not as pleasant for Verizon and AT&T users.
Rumors claimed Sprint was rolling out test builds of Android 4.4.2 KitKat. If this was accurate, the update was likely on its final testing and the release is not too far for multiple U.S. carriers.
Usually, Motorola announces and releases test build software updates for members of the Motorola feedback network and then pushes the updates to the public through carriers. The update is expected to come sooner rather than later but we have to wait for soak tests for the newest Android version.
When the Moto X Verizon was among the first device to receive the Android 4.4 KitKat apart from Nexus devices, many thought that this is the start of timely updates for Motorola devices. However, after the Android 4.4.2 update has been out for 2 months, there is still no update for the Moto X. The latest Android 4.4.2 is already in the Moto G and HTC is also about to start rolling out the update for HTC One users.
All we can do is to wait for the U.S. Moto X on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile to receive the Android 4.4.2 update. There are no updates as to when it will come to the U.S. carriers but we expect more details to emerge shortly.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013