What Do Lorde and Best Friend Taylor Swift Have in Common? Find Out Now
By nidhi tewari | January 29, 2014 3:10 PM EST
Lorde and Taylor Swift have a lot in common. Both started their careers pretty young, won Grammy Awards too before turning 25 and both are being criticised for dressing up older than their age. Various media agencies have earlier ridiculed Taylor Swift for behaving a bit too maturely and now the entire focus has shifted to her good friend Lorde, who has been in news ever since she won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Solo Performance for her song "Royals."
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
Lorde has been in news ever since she won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Solo Performance for her song "Royals." Everyone is amazed at her singing capabilities and another factor...her age. The New Zealand-based singer, believed to be 17-years-old, looks much older than, various websites say. Lorde was dressed in black for her gala night and wore a very dark purple/black lip colour, which made her appear much older. But what is her real age anyways? Let's find out.
Twitterati have been speculating on Lorde's real age since quite some time now.
"If lorde's 16 I'm 16," writes HotSugar on Twitter, mocking at Lorde's age.
"Good to see Lorde finally getting recognized after her 20+ years in the industry," writes Desus on Twitter.
"no way lorde is 16 or 17 or whatever though," writes Brokey on Twitter.
It is unbelievable that there has been a group dedicated to Lorde's age called "Lorde Age Truthers."
"She's 27 at the youngest. RT @iluvbutts247: Lorde Age Truthers Unite," writes Netwrk on Twitter.
But what does the award-winning singer herself have to say about her age?
"Hi, I'm Ella," Lorde told Vanity Fair at a pre-Grammys party, "And I'm actually 45."
"[The Virgin Suicides] really resonated with me as a teenager," the singer told Rookie Mag's Tavi Gevinson some time back, according to Huffington Post. " I mean, I am still a teenager," she added.
Two very different statements from the singer about her age, coupled with her much older senses of dressing up generated so much inquisitiveness in media's mind that a web site, The Hairpin reportedly spent $17.02 at the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs to get hold of her real birth certificate! You can view it here.
Thanks to the website, it is now revealed that Lorde, born Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O'Connor, is actually 17. The singer was born Nov. 7, 1996.
"Come on people, she's just an old soul," writes Huffington Post.
"Lorde is not old, she is just precocious as hell," says Emma Carmichael, who procured the birth certificate.
No doubt she is besties with Taylor Swift. Looks like both Taylor and Lorde should get some tips from Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus, who dress up according to their age. What are your views?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu