8 Dead as Luxury Bus Hits Diesel Tanker, Catches Fire Near Mumbai
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 29, 2014 3:04 PM EST
As many as 8 passengers have been charred to death in a tragic accident involving a luxury bus and a diesel tanker in the outskirts of Mumbai.
The luxury bus, which was on way to Ahmedabad from Pune, hit a diesel tanker near Kude village in Manor, Maharashtra between 1 and 2 a.m. on Wednesday.
Seven people were charred to death after the bus caught fire in the impact of the collision. The tanker, which was carrying diesel towards Hazira in Gujarat, also caught fire.
The incident reportedly took place when most of the passengers were asleep.
Police officials, emergency services and medical staff rushed to the spot to carry out rescue operations. "We had to be very careful in our operations as there was a diesel tanker and a risk of explosion," a senior police officer who was on the spot told NDTV.
The charred bodies of victims were recovered. "The bodies could not be identified as they are charred beyond recognition. The bodies have been sent for postmortem. The district administration is in the process of contacting the bus operator to get the names of the passengers travelling in the bus," Thane District Collector P Velrasu told the Press Trust of India.
At least 14 people were injured in the accident and they have been rushed to Manor rural hospital for treatment.
The accident halted traffic on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway for several hours.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family