Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/29/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 29, 2014 1:43 PM EST
The Australian share market is recovering after yesterday posting its biggest one day loss since mid-December, as investors remained concerned about the health of emerging economies.
Early this morning the Turkish Central Bank moved to restore some confidence by increasing its overnight cash rate more than was expected. The country's overnight lending rate increased from 7.75 to 12 per cent, a move which saw the US Dow Jones Futures Index spike and gave some support to our dollar.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by 0.4 per cent.
In company news, oil and gas explorer Drillsearch (DLS) has increased its 2014 production guidance by around a million barrels. The company plans to drill around 20 wells in the second half of the financial year. DLS shares are firmer by 6.6 per cent in early trade to $1.525.
Meanwhile investors have also responded well to Atlas Iron's (AGO) update. The mid-tier iron ore miner has lifted its forecast shipments of iron ore and says prices for the commodity remain strong. AGO shares are firmer by 6.8 per cent in the early session to $1.02.
Engineering firm Forge Group (FGE) could be putting itself up for sale, after announcing it expects a full year loss of up to $25 million. FGE shares have been hammered recently due to a number of project writedowns. In early trade FGE is down 6.7 per cent to 84c.
So far on the market, 600 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.3 billion. 460 are up, 250 are down and 242 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar has received a boost and is back above US88c.
The Dow Futures Index is at 15,935 up 59 points or 0.4 per cent.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier