Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/29/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 29, 2014 1:43 PM EST
The Australian share market is recovering after yesterday posting its biggest one day loss since mid-December, as investors remained concerned about the health of emerging economies.
Early this morning the Turkish Central Bank moved to restore some confidence by increasing its overnight cash rate more than was expected. The country's overnight lending rate increased from 7.75 to 12 per cent, a move which saw the US Dow Jones Futures Index spike and gave some support to our dollar.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by 0.4 per cent.
In company news, oil and gas explorer Drillsearch (DLS) has increased its 2014 production guidance by around a million barrels. The company plans to drill around 20 wells in the second half of the financial year. DLS shares are firmer by 6.6 per cent in early trade to $1.525.
Meanwhile investors have also responded well to Atlas Iron's (AGO) update. The mid-tier iron ore miner has lifted its forecast shipments of iron ore and says prices for the commodity remain strong. AGO shares are firmer by 6.8 per cent in the early session to $1.02.
Engineering firm Forge Group (FGE) could be putting itself up for sale, after announcing it expects a full year loss of up to $25 million. FGE shares have been hammered recently due to a number of project writedowns. In early trade FGE is down 6.7 per cent to 84c.
So far on the market, 600 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.3 billion. 460 are up, 250 are down and 242 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar has received a boost and is back above US88c.
The Dow Futures Index is at 15,935 up 59 points or 0.4 per cent.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 26, 2014
- Survey Says Many Investors Unaware of True State of Stock Market
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 26, 2014
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU