Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/29/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 29, 2014 1:43 PM EST
The Australian share market is recovering after yesterday posting its biggest one day loss since mid-December, as investors remained concerned about the health of emerging economies.
Early this morning the Turkish Central Bank moved to restore some confidence by increasing its overnight cash rate more than was expected. The country's overnight lending rate increased from 7.75 to 12 per cent, a move which saw the US Dow Jones Futures Index spike and gave some support to our dollar.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by 0.4 per cent.
In company news, oil and gas explorer Drillsearch (DLS) has increased its 2014 production guidance by around a million barrels. The company plans to drill around 20 wells in the second half of the financial year. DLS shares are firmer by 6.6 per cent in early trade to $1.525.
Meanwhile investors have also responded well to Atlas Iron's (AGO) update. The mid-tier iron ore miner has lifted its forecast shipments of iron ore and says prices for the commodity remain strong. AGO shares are firmer by 6.8 per cent in the early session to $1.02.
Engineering firm Forge Group (FGE) could be putting itself up for sale, after announcing it expects a full year loss of up to $25 million. FGE shares have been hammered recently due to a number of project writedowns. In early trade FGE is down 6.7 per cent to 84c.
So far on the market, 600 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.3 billion. 460 are up, 250 are down and 242 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar has received a boost and is back above US88c.
The Dow Futures Index is at 15,935 up 59 points or 0.4 per cent.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine