Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/29/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 29, 2014 1:43 PM EST
The Australian share market is recovering after yesterday posting its biggest one day loss since mid-December, as investors remained concerned about the health of emerging economies.
Early this morning the Turkish Central Bank moved to restore some confidence by increasing its overnight cash rate more than was expected. The country's overnight lending rate increased from 7.75 to 12 per cent, a move which saw the US Dow Jones Futures Index spike and gave some support to our dollar.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by 0.4 per cent.
In company news, oil and gas explorer Drillsearch (DLS) has increased its 2014 production guidance by around a million barrels. The company plans to drill around 20 wells in the second half of the financial year. DLS shares are firmer by 6.6 per cent in early trade to $1.525.
Meanwhile investors have also responded well to Atlas Iron's (AGO) update. The mid-tier iron ore miner has lifted its forecast shipments of iron ore and says prices for the commodity remain strong. AGO shares are firmer by 6.8 per cent in the early session to $1.02.
Engineering firm Forge Group (FGE) could be putting itself up for sale, after announcing it expects a full year loss of up to $25 million. FGE shares have been hammered recently due to a number of project writedowns. In early trade FGE is down 6.7 per cent to 84c.
So far on the market, 600 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.3 billion. 460 are up, 250 are down and 242 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar has received a boost and is back above US88c.
The Dow Futures Index is at 15,935 up 59 points or 0.4 per cent.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales