Canada Doctor Killed Doing BASE Jump in Grand Canyon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 1:37 PM EST
The body of the person who was killed while he was doing a BASE jump on Friday has been identified. He was Canada doctor David Stather. Mr Stather, killed close to the Grand Canyon, used to work as a pulmonary specialist in Calgary.
Mr Stather was able to execute a jump successfully earlier on the same day along with two other friends. He used a jump suit for the successful jump. However, he was apparently not satisfied with just one jump. He told his friends that he would like to do a second jump. Det Pat Barr from the Coconino County Sheriff's Office in Arizona informed that he had been killed in his second attempt, CBC reported.
The couple of friends stayed back at the bottom to keep a watch on the 41-year-old doctor. However, they could not see him jump for a long time. It was then that they decided to go to the top and find out what might have happened. However, when they went up, they could not find him either. There was no trace of him at the top where the cars had been parked.
It was late on Friday night when police arrived at the location. They could only recover Dr Stather's body on Saturday. He, wearing one wing suit, apparently jumped off a cliff which was angled at 45 degrees. It is suspected that Dr Stather might have misjudged the height of a ledge and eventually collided with it. The location was not particularly famous for being a suitable place for BASE jumping. One more person from Norway was killed in the similar manner around a year ago.
Mr Stather was reportedly an enthusiastic skydiver. According to his fellow pulmonologist Elaine Dumoulin, he was a "very intense" person. He lived his life "200 per cent", she said. Ms Dumoulin said that she learned to value life more from him. Every day has to be treated as it was the last, he believed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS