Canada Doctor Killed Doing BASE Jump in Grand Canyon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 1:37 PM EST
The body of the person who was killed while he was doing a BASE jump on Friday has been identified. He was Canada doctor David Stather. Mr Stather, killed close to the Grand Canyon, used to work as a pulmonary specialist in Calgary.
Mr Stather was able to execute a jump successfully earlier on the same day along with two other friends. He used a jump suit for the successful jump. However, he was apparently not satisfied with just one jump. He told his friends that he would like to do a second jump. Det Pat Barr from the Coconino County Sheriff's Office in Arizona informed that he had been killed in his second attempt, CBC reported.
The couple of friends stayed back at the bottom to keep a watch on the 41-year-old doctor. However, they could not see him jump for a long time. It was then that they decided to go to the top and find out what might have happened. However, when they went up, they could not find him either. There was no trace of him at the top where the cars had been parked.
It was late on Friday night when police arrived at the location. They could only recover Dr Stather's body on Saturday. He, wearing one wing suit, apparently jumped off a cliff which was angled at 45 degrees. It is suspected that Dr Stather might have misjudged the height of a ledge and eventually collided with it. The location was not particularly famous for being a suitable place for BASE jumping. One more person from Norway was killed in the similar manner around a year ago.
Mr Stather was reportedly an enthusiastic skydiver. According to his fellow pulmonologist Elaine Dumoulin, he was a "very intense" person. He lived his life "200 per cent", she said. Ms Dumoulin said that she learned to value life more from him. Every day has to be treated as it was the last, he believed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June