Canada Doctor Killed Doing BASE Jump in Grand Canyon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 1:37 PM EST
The body of the person who was killed while he was doing a BASE jump on Friday has been identified. He was Canada doctor David Stather. Mr Stather, killed close to the Grand Canyon, used to work as a pulmonary specialist in Calgary.
Mr Stather was able to execute a jump successfully earlier on the same day along with two other friends. He used a jump suit for the successful jump. However, he was apparently not satisfied with just one jump. He told his friends that he would like to do a second jump. Det Pat Barr from the Coconino County Sheriff's Office in Arizona informed that he had been killed in his second attempt, CBC reported.
The couple of friends stayed back at the bottom to keep a watch on the 41-year-old doctor. However, they could not see him jump for a long time. It was then that they decided to go to the top and find out what might have happened. However, when they went up, they could not find him either. There was no trace of him at the top where the cars had been parked.
It was late on Friday night when police arrived at the location. They could only recover Dr Stather's body on Saturday. He, wearing one wing suit, apparently jumped off a cliff which was angled at 45 degrees. It is suspected that Dr Stather might have misjudged the height of a ledge and eventually collided with it. The location was not particularly famous for being a suitable place for BASE jumping. One more person from Norway was killed in the similar manner around a year ago.
Mr Stather was reportedly an enthusiastic skydiver. According to his fellow pulmonologist Elaine Dumoulin, he was a "very intense" person. He lived his life "200 per cent", she said. Ms Dumoulin said that she learned to value life more from him. Every day has to be treated as it was the last, he believed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness