Canada Doctor Killed Doing BASE Jump in Grand Canyon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 29, 2014 1:37 PM EST
The body of the person who was killed while he was doing a BASE jump on Friday has been identified. He was Canada doctor David Stather. Mr Stather, killed close to the Grand Canyon, used to work as a pulmonary specialist in Calgary.
Mr Stather was able to execute a jump successfully earlier on the same day along with two other friends. He used a jump suit for the successful jump. However, he was apparently not satisfied with just one jump. He told his friends that he would like to do a second jump. Det Pat Barr from the Coconino County Sheriff's Office in Arizona informed that he had been killed in his second attempt, CBC reported.
The couple of friends stayed back at the bottom to keep a watch on the 41-year-old doctor. However, they could not see him jump for a long time. It was then that they decided to go to the top and find out what might have happened. However, when they went up, they could not find him either. There was no trace of him at the top where the cars had been parked.
It was late on Friday night when police arrived at the location. They could only recover Dr Stather's body on Saturday. He, wearing one wing suit, apparently jumped off a cliff which was angled at 45 degrees. It is suspected that Dr Stather might have misjudged the height of a ledge and eventually collided with it. The location was not particularly famous for being a suitable place for BASE jumping. One more person from Norway was killed in the similar manner around a year ago.
Mr Stather was reportedly an enthusiastic skydiver. According to his fellow pulmonologist Elaine Dumoulin, he was a "very intense" person. He lived his life "200 per cent", she said. Ms Dumoulin said that she learned to value life more from him. Every day has to be treated as it was the last, he believed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date