Canada Post’s Community Mailboxes Ready by February
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 29, 2014 1:32 PM EST
Canada Post's first batch of community mailboxes will already be coming in by February.
In December 2013, Canada's government-owned postal agency announced it will close its door-to-door home delivery over the next five years. This will generate savings of $542 million (C$576 million) a year.
A Canada Post employee delivers mail in Ottawa December 11, 2013. Canada's postal service will phase out urban home delivery within five years and hike the cost of postage stamps to try to stem soaring losses, the post office said on Wednesday. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
Canada Post said on Tuesday the transition will start in areas where community mailboxes were already established.
"It's easier to move forward and then work through the challenges as we go," Jon Hamilton, Canada Post, spokesperson said.
Although still uncertain how to set-up the other future community mailboxes, Mr Hamilton said that instead of on the streets, these could be set up in businesses that are open 24 hours.
"I'm not about to talk about hypothetical situations that we are going to encounter three, four years down the road," he said.
"There is a process we are going to follow to work with municipalities and find solutions."
Canada Post argued in December 2013 that the phase out of home delivery in urban areas was needed to curb financial losses since people nowadays prefer more the online mail and delivery.
While change is good, the phase out risks the employment of some 6,000 to 8,000 jobs during the next five years. As of end 2012 fiscal year, Canada Post employed a total of 68,000 staff.
Jim Watson, Ottawa Mayor, wants concrete details before Canada Post starts laying the community mailboxes.
"Where are these super mailboxes going to go, are they going to go on the front of someone's lawn? Who's paying for the cleanup and garbage around them? Are they going to be paying the city a fee?" Mr Watson said.
"Anytime I go out... I have people coming up to me quite concerned about this."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones