2014 Boxing News: Timothy Bradley Better Than Adrien Broner, Closest Thing to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 29, 2014 11:15 AM EST
Former WBA Welterweight champion Adrien Broner believed he's still the closest thing to pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr., even though he suffered a unanimous decision loss to Argentine brawler Marcos Maidana.
Floyd Mayweather Jr could fight either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana
Broner joined the Showtime booth to cover the Lamont Peterson vs. Dierry Jean showdown in Washington D.C. During an interview, the three-division champion stressed that there's no fighter closer to Money May right now in the business.
"That's not the first time I took defeat...I am set for a major comeback. Maidana did what he was supposed to do. He threw big shots. I was in a hell of a fight. It comes with the territory. That's boxing," Broner said in the interview.
"Sometimes you don't get hit, but sometimes you do. It's not about that. It's about how you get up. And I got up and fought to the last. I know I can beat anybody. If I go on, what will they say? 'Oh, At least Maidana beat him.' I'm the closest thing to Floyd Mayweather, so since I took my loss everyone feels like Floyd Mayweather took a loss because I'm the closest thing to him. And still to this day I'm the closest thing to him," the fighter stated.
Broner said he's pushing his managers to arrange a second showdown with Maidana who has suddenly become one of the hottest names in boxing, following his sensational victory over the pound-for-pound contender in December. Maidana floored Broner twice in the match and obliterated him with vicious left hooks and body shots.
Not Even Close to Mayweather Jr. Copy
According to Allan Fox of Boxing News 24, Broner is not even close to becoming a Mayweather copy because he lacks the speed and footwork to execute his shoulder-roll stance to perfection.
The analyst added that Timothy Bradley might be the closest thing to a defensive-oriented Money May in the business, though the 'Desert Storm' is not even at par with the Grand Rapids' native overall boxing acumen.
"Broner needs to take a step back and take a look at his skills, and realize that he's not another Mayweather. Broner is a good fighter, but he's nowhere close to Mayweather in talent. At 24, Broner isn't even as fast as the 36-year-old Mayweather, and without his speed and skills, Broner will always be just a poor knockoff copy of Mayweather," Fox stated.
For more 2014 Boxing News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans