Goodbye Lululemon Yoga Pants, New York Studio Offers Naked Co-ed Yoga Sessions
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 29, 2014 10:40 AM EST
Yoga involves meditation wherein the eyes of the yoga practitioner are closed. Thus, it makes sense that the attire one wears in a yoga class is of minimal importance, except that it should be clothing that would allow movement.
However, like massage, it is best done with no clothing, believes the owner of the Bold & Naked Yoga studio in New York which just opened its doors to female yoga practitioners in January. The studio has been holding no-clothes yoga session for men only the past seven years.
Joschi Schwarz, co-owner of the studio, told Well + Good that by offering naked yoga sessions, there would be no need for a lot of money such as for buying $98 Lululemon yoga pants.
Not even a cloth headband would be allowed participants. The studio explained in its Web site: "All participants must be naked in order to keep everyone on the same level and equal ... That's what naked yoga is all about."
It added practicing yoga in your birthday suit frees a person from negative feelings about his or her body and allows him or her to be more accepting and attain a deeper connection with himself or herself and the world around him or her.
The studio allows members to touch one another during their nude yoga sessions, but it should be non-sexual. Those who violate this rule would be thrown out of the class.
Mr Schwarz admits there are instances when the members have a hard on, which he said is rare but is considered a natural phenomenon and nothing to be embarrassed. "It will pass quickly," he added.
Mr Schwarz, who co-owns the studio with Monika Werner, said that are both Europeans so they have liberal attitudes toward nakedness. He admitted he was a bit scared of how New Yorkers would react to nude yoga sessions but is hopeful that "New York is coming with us. I hope they will realize how cool and freeing and liberating it can really be."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet