Lorde’s Mum & Dad Shocked At Her Win, Say It’s ‘Just Another Day’ For Her [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | January 29, 2014 12:55 AM EST
Lorde might not look like she was shocked with her Grammy Award win, but her parents sure did. After their 17-year-old daughter was awarded the Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year for “Royals” at the prestigious event on Sunday, Sonja Yelich and Vic O’Connor expressed their delight at Lorde’s success.
“As a mum when I sat there I was in shock. I was absolutely in shock,” Sonja told Radio New Zealand. “I was absolutely in shock.”
Lorde’s father, Vic, added, “You feel a bit dumbfounded when you hear your daughter’s name called out amongst such company. As Sonja said, we were both shocked but also thrilled.”
Their now international star child, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, was visibly nervous when she got up on stage twice to claim her gongs. Her song-writing partner, Joel Little, appeared more composed than she had during their acceptance speech.
Although it was obviously a monumental event for any artist, her mum said Lorde just sees it as “just another day.”
“She’s a very calm person, she handles things extremely well.”
True enough, aside from being slightly jittery, the Kiwi singer took the praises thrown at her very calmly. She didn’t jump for joy or shriek her excitement when her name was called. In fact, when the Best Pop Solo Performance award was announced, the only telling reaction of her glee was the widening of her eyes.
As for what’s next for the Auckland student, her mother revealed that she has left her formal education in the meantime.
“Clearly she’s not going to be going back to school, but Ella’s chosen a career that stimulates her intelligence and she’s involved in every single decision-making process,” Sonja continued. “That requires fortitude and intelligence and we’re very pleased.”
Lorde is flying back to Auckland to fulfil her promise of a special concert to Laneway Festival ticketholders. She will be playing at Silo Park on January 29.
She’s also going to be at the Brit Awards, as she has confirmed in a tweet.
— Lorde (@lordemusic) January 27, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Baby Bump Pictures Allegedly Arrive on Instagram, Reported to be Pregnant with French Montana's Baby
- Kim Kardashian's Divorce Struggles: Kanye West Emotionally Unavailable, Neglects Kim and North West on Trip to Mexico
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report