Lorde’s Mum & Dad Shocked At Her Win, Say It’s ‘Just Another Day’ For Her [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | January 29, 2014 12:55 AM EST
Lorde might not look like she was shocked with her Grammy Award win, but her parents sure did. After their 17-year-old daughter was awarded the Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year for “Royals” at the prestigious event on Sunday, Sonja Yelich and Vic O’Connor expressed their delight at Lorde’s success.
“As a mum when I sat there I was in shock. I was absolutely in shock,” Sonja told Radio New Zealand. “I was absolutely in shock.”
Lorde’s father, Vic, added, “You feel a bit dumbfounded when you hear your daughter’s name called out amongst such company. As Sonja said, we were both shocked but also thrilled.”
Their now international star child, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, was visibly nervous when she got up on stage twice to claim her gongs. Her song-writing partner, Joel Little, appeared more composed than she had during their acceptance speech.
Although it was obviously a monumental event for any artist, her mum said Lorde just sees it as “just another day.”
“She’s a very calm person, she handles things extremely well.”
True enough, aside from being slightly jittery, the Kiwi singer took the praises thrown at her very calmly. She didn’t jump for joy or shriek her excitement when her name was called. In fact, when the Best Pop Solo Performance award was announced, the only telling reaction of her glee was the widening of her eyes.
As for what’s next for the Auckland student, her mother revealed that she has left her formal education in the meantime.
“Clearly she’s not going to be going back to school, but Ella’s chosen a career that stimulates her intelligence and she’s involved in every single decision-making process,” Sonja continued. “That requires fortitude and intelligence and we’re very pleased.”
Lorde is flying back to Auckland to fulfil her promise of a special concert to Laneway Festival ticketholders. She will be playing at Silo Park on January 29.
She’s also going to be at the Brit Awards, as she has confirmed in a tweet.
— Lorde (@lordemusic) January 27, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015