iPhone 6 Release Date: A8 Processor Production Set to Begin, Says Report
January 29, 2014 12:40 AM EST
Rumors about an early launch of Apple iPhone 6 seem to be gathering more pace, with a recent report stating that the production of the A8 processor is set to begin in the second quarter of 2014.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
Three semiconductor product packaging companies - Amkor Technology, STATS ChipPAC and Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) - have obtained packaging orders placed by Apple for its next-generation A8 processor, says a report by DigiTimes, citing industry sources.
The report added that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has also secured wafer bumping orders for the processor and it will reportedly start ramping up the production A8 chip, using 20nm process technology in the second quarter of 2014. The sources added that A8 chip will be a package-on-package (PoP) SoC solution, comprising processors and mobile DRAM in a single package.
Apple Inc. has not yet revealed iPhone 6 release date but Chinese Analyst Sun Changxu recently told QQ Tech website that the new smartphone production would ramp up in May before its launch in June. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek also said that the device might be launched in June this year.
However, Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri thinks iPhone 6 launch may happen only in September.
Apple Insider had earlier reported that Arcuri told investors, citing sources from the company's supply chain, that the Cupertino giant had locked down the design of iPhone 6, and it would sport a 4.8-inch display and feature 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.
It may be recalled that Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities had claimed last year that Apple Inc. would come out with a larger iPhone, though it might not cross 5 inches owing to the company's "one-hand use" principle.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast