Chinese New Year 2014: Wooden Horse Decorations Start in China [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | January 29, 2014 12:29 AM EST
The Chinese New Year 2014 is just three days away and the people have already started the celebrations.
This New Year will be celebrated on Friday (31 January), marking the start of the Year of the Wooden Horse. Chinese New Year 2014 is the 4711th year of the Chinese calendar.
This holiday is the biggest and most important one in China, as people from across the world travel to their hometowns to celebrate the Lunar New Year with family and friends.
Preparations have already started in China and across the globe to ring in the New Year. People in China started preparing New Year goods a week ago.
The preparations generally include stocking and making different sorts of traditional food, purchasing new garments, hanging couplets on both sides of the entryway and also placing red lamps inside and outside of the house, CCTV.com reported.
In China, people clean their homes before the New Year's Eve so that all the bad luck goes out and the good luck comes in. People also burst firecrackers, hoping to fend off evil spirits with the loud noise.
However, this year the Beijing Consumer Association has urged the people to not use firecrackers during the New Year celebrations.
A record number of passengers are expected to travel to China in the coming week to celebrate the festival.
"We forecast that travelers on roads and waterways on Sunday will reach more than 99 million and one million respectively," said the Ministry of Transport spokesman Liang Xiaoan, according to Xinhua.
Also Read: Chinese New Year 2014: Top 10 Superstitions
Check out the photos of the New Year preparatioms here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People