Chinese New Year 2014: Wooden Horse Decorations Start in China [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | January 29, 2014 12:29 AM EST
The Chinese New Year 2014 is just three days away and the people have already started the celebrations.
This New Year will be celebrated on Friday (31 January), marking the start of the Year of the Wooden Horse. Chinese New Year 2014 is the 4711th year of the Chinese calendar.
This holiday is the biggest and most important one in China, as people from across the world travel to their hometowns to celebrate the Lunar New Year with family and friends.
Preparations have already started in China and across the globe to ring in the New Year. People in China started preparing New Year goods a week ago.
The preparations generally include stocking and making different sorts of traditional food, purchasing new garments, hanging couplets on both sides of the entryway and also placing red lamps inside and outside of the house, CCTV.com reported.
In China, people clean their homes before the New Year's Eve so that all the bad luck goes out and the good luck comes in. People also burst firecrackers, hoping to fend off evil spirits with the loud noise.
However, this year the Beijing Consumer Association has urged the people to not use firecrackers during the New Year celebrations.
A record number of passengers are expected to travel to China in the coming week to celebrate the festival.
"We forecast that travelers on roads and waterways on Sunday will reach more than 99 million and one million respectively," said the Ministry of Transport spokesman Liang Xiaoan, according to Xinhua.
Also Read: Chinese New Year 2014: Top 10 Superstitions
Check out the photos of the New Year preparatioms here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28