'Jai Ho' Box Office Collection: Salman Starrer Passes Monday Test, Earns ₹70 Crore in 4 Days
By Ankita Mehta | January 28, 2014 8:16 PM EST
Sohail Khan directorial film "Jai Ho" has passed the first Monday test with decent collections. The political drama starring Salman Khan in the lead role has accumulated around ₹9.50 crore on the first weekday.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
"#JaiHo passes the crucial 'Monday test'. Collects ₹ 9.50 cr. Total: ₹ 70.18 cr nett. India biz only," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film witnessed a 50 percent drop in its business at the box office from Friday. "Jai Ho" has grossed around ₹70.18 crore in four days of domestic run. The nett total is reasonable but due to higher targets set by films like "Chennai Express" and "Dhoom 3", Salman's film failed to fetch huge numbers.
The film held well on single screens, but business in multiplexes was lower. It performed best in Mumbai and Gujarat circuits. Except for the opening day, the next three day earnings were quite high.
The non-holiday release and normal ticket price of "Jai Ho" are the main reasons why the film collections remained low compared to "Dhoom 3", "Krrish 3" and "Chennai Express".
Unlike other films, ticket prices "Jai Ho" were priced at usual rates. Also, three films from last year which shattered records were released during the holiday season. On the other hand, Salman's film was released during a non-holiday season after Christmas and New Year.
The current box office trend suggests that the film would not cross the ₹100-crore mark within its first week run at the domestic box office.
On the international front, the film had a slow start. The opening day collections remained low, but the film showed day-wise growth in several circuits overseas.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" minted ₹22.38 crore from the overseas box office.
"#JaiHo opng wknd: India *nett* ₹ 60.68 cr, *gross* ₹ 78.90 cr. Overseas *gross* ₹ 22.38 cr. Worldwide total [gross]: ₹ 101.28 cr," Adarsh tweeted.
The UAE-GCC circuit contributed the highest earnings in the opening weekend collection, followed by US-Canada and UK circuits.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" grossed total ₹5.15 crore. From the US, it collected ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
It collected ₹8.24 crore, ($ 4,800,000) in the first three days.
The UK circuit is the third best contributor in "Jai Ho" earnings. In the first three days, the Salman starrer minted ₹2.56 crore (£ 245,246) from 87 screens.
The film also had a good start in Pakistan raking in ₹2.21 crore ($ 350,000) in the first weekend.
"Jai Ho" also had good start in Australia. In its opening weekend, the political drama fetched in ₹1.34 crore (A$ 243,778) from 33 screens.
The film's business remained low in New Zealand market, where it fetched ₹37.17 lakh (NZ$ 71,766) from 11 screens.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best