'Jai Ho' Box Office Collection: Salman Starrer Passes Monday Test, Earns ₹70 Crore in 4 Days
By Ankita Mehta | January 28, 2014 8:16 PM EST
Sohail Khan directorial film "Jai Ho" has passed the first Monday test with decent collections. The political drama starring Salman Khan in the lead role has accumulated around ₹9.50 crore on the first weekday.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
"#JaiHo passes the crucial 'Monday test'. Collects ₹ 9.50 cr. Total: ₹ 70.18 cr nett. India biz only," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film witnessed a 50 percent drop in its business at the box office from Friday. "Jai Ho" has grossed around ₹70.18 crore in four days of domestic run. The nett total is reasonable but due to higher targets set by films like "Chennai Express" and "Dhoom 3", Salman's film failed to fetch huge numbers.
The film held well on single screens, but business in multiplexes was lower. It performed best in Mumbai and Gujarat circuits. Except for the opening day, the next three day earnings were quite high.
The non-holiday release and normal ticket price of "Jai Ho" are the main reasons why the film collections remained low compared to "Dhoom 3", "Krrish 3" and "Chennai Express".
Unlike other films, ticket prices "Jai Ho" were priced at usual rates. Also, three films from last year which shattered records were released during the holiday season. On the other hand, Salman's film was released during a non-holiday season after Christmas and New Year.
The current box office trend suggests that the film would not cross the ₹100-crore mark within its first week run at the domestic box office.
On the international front, the film had a slow start. The opening day collections remained low, but the film showed day-wise growth in several circuits overseas.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" minted ₹22.38 crore from the overseas box office.
"#JaiHo opng wknd: India *nett* ₹ 60.68 cr, *gross* ₹ 78.90 cr. Overseas *gross* ₹ 22.38 cr. Worldwide total [gross]: ₹ 101.28 cr," Adarsh tweeted.
The UAE-GCC circuit contributed the highest earnings in the opening weekend collection, followed by US-Canada and UK circuits.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" grossed total ₹5.15 crore. From the US, it collected ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
It collected ₹8.24 crore, ($ 4,800,000) in the first three days.
The UK circuit is the third best contributor in "Jai Ho" earnings. In the first three days, the Salman starrer minted ₹2.56 crore (£ 245,246) from 87 screens.
The film also had a good start in Pakistan raking in ₹2.21 crore ($ 350,000) in the first weekend.
"Jai Ho" also had good start in Australia. In its opening weekend, the political drama fetched in ₹1.34 crore (A$ 243,778) from 33 screens.
The film's business remained low in New Zealand market, where it fetched ₹37.17 lakh (NZ$ 71,766) from 11 screens.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28