'Jai Ho' Box Office Collection: Salman Starrer Passes Monday Test, Earns ₹70 Crore in 4 Days
By Ankita Mehta | January 28, 2014 8:16 PM EST
Sohail Khan directorial film "Jai Ho" has passed the first Monday test with decent collections. The political drama starring Salman Khan in the lead role has accumulated around ₹9.50 crore on the first weekday.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
"#JaiHo passes the crucial 'Monday test'. Collects ₹ 9.50 cr. Total: ₹ 70.18 cr nett. India biz only," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film witnessed a 50 percent drop in its business at the box office from Friday. "Jai Ho" has grossed around ₹70.18 crore in four days of domestic run. The nett total is reasonable but due to higher targets set by films like "Chennai Express" and "Dhoom 3", Salman's film failed to fetch huge numbers.
The film held well on single screens, but business in multiplexes was lower. It performed best in Mumbai and Gujarat circuits. Except for the opening day, the next three day earnings were quite high.
The non-holiday release and normal ticket price of "Jai Ho" are the main reasons why the film collections remained low compared to "Dhoom 3", "Krrish 3" and "Chennai Express".
Unlike other films, ticket prices "Jai Ho" were priced at usual rates. Also, three films from last year which shattered records were released during the holiday season. On the other hand, Salman's film was released during a non-holiday season after Christmas and New Year.
The current box office trend suggests that the film would not cross the ₹100-crore mark within its first week run at the domestic box office.
On the international front, the film had a slow start. The opening day collections remained low, but the film showed day-wise growth in several circuits overseas.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" minted ₹22.38 crore from the overseas box office.
"#JaiHo opng wknd: India *nett* ₹ 60.68 cr, *gross* ₹ 78.90 cr. Overseas *gross* ₹ 22.38 cr. Worldwide total [gross]: ₹ 101.28 cr," Adarsh tweeted.
The UAE-GCC circuit contributed the highest earnings in the opening weekend collection, followed by US-Canada and UK circuits.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" grossed total ₹5.15 crore. From the US, it collected ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
It collected ₹8.24 crore, ($ 4,800,000) in the first three days.
The UK circuit is the third best contributor in "Jai Ho" earnings. In the first three days, the Salman starrer minted ₹2.56 crore (£ 245,246) from 87 screens.
The film also had a good start in Pakistan raking in ₹2.21 crore ($ 350,000) in the first weekend.
"Jai Ho" also had good start in Australia. In its opening weekend, the political drama fetched in ₹1.34 crore (A$ 243,778) from 33 screens.
The film's business remained low in New Zealand market, where it fetched ₹37.17 lakh (NZ$ 71,766) from 11 screens.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510