'Jai Ho' Box Office Collection: Salman Starrer Passes Monday Test, Earns ₹70 Crore in 4 Days
By Ankita Mehta | January 28, 2014 8:16 PM EST
Sohail Khan directorial film "Jai Ho" has passed the first Monday test with decent collections. The political drama starring Salman Khan in the lead role has accumulated around ₹9.50 crore on the first weekday.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
"#JaiHo passes the crucial 'Monday test'. Collects ₹ 9.50 cr. Total: ₹ 70.18 cr nett. India biz only," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film witnessed a 50 percent drop in its business at the box office from Friday. "Jai Ho" has grossed around ₹70.18 crore in four days of domestic run. The nett total is reasonable but due to higher targets set by films like "Chennai Express" and "Dhoom 3", Salman's film failed to fetch huge numbers.
The film held well on single screens, but business in multiplexes was lower. It performed best in Mumbai and Gujarat circuits. Except for the opening day, the next three day earnings were quite high.
The non-holiday release and normal ticket price of "Jai Ho" are the main reasons why the film collections remained low compared to "Dhoom 3", "Krrish 3" and "Chennai Express".
Unlike other films, ticket prices "Jai Ho" were priced at usual rates. Also, three films from last year which shattered records were released during the holiday season. On the other hand, Salman's film was released during a non-holiday season after Christmas and New Year.
The current box office trend suggests that the film would not cross the ₹100-crore mark within its first week run at the domestic box office.
On the international front, the film had a slow start. The opening day collections remained low, but the film showed day-wise growth in several circuits overseas.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" minted ₹22.38 crore from the overseas box office.
"#JaiHo opng wknd: India *nett* ₹ 60.68 cr, *gross* ₹ 78.90 cr. Overseas *gross* ₹ 22.38 cr. Worldwide total [gross]: ₹ 101.28 cr," Adarsh tweeted.
The UAE-GCC circuit contributed the highest earnings in the opening weekend collection, followed by US-Canada and UK circuits.
In its opening weekend, "Jai Ho" grossed total ₹5.15 crore. From the US, it collected ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
It collected ₹8.24 crore, ($ 4,800,000) in the first three days.
The UK circuit is the third best contributor in "Jai Ho" earnings. In the first three days, the Salman starrer minted ₹2.56 crore (£ 245,246) from 87 screens.
The film also had a good start in Pakistan raking in ₹2.21 crore ($ 350,000) in the first weekend.
"Jai Ho" also had good start in Australia. In its opening weekend, the political drama fetched in ₹1.34 crore (A$ 243,778) from 33 screens.
The film's business remained low in New Zealand market, where it fetched ₹37.17 lakh (NZ$ 71,766) from 11 screens.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People