Not a Single Gay Resident Lives in Sochi, Russia According to Mayor
By Christine Lazaro | January 28, 2014 8:00 PM EST
The city of Sochi in Russia has a small population of around 400,000 but aside from being an Olympic host city, its mayor is proud of another fact about their place: it does not have a single gay residing in it.
REUTERS/Alexei Nikolsky/RIA No
Russian President Vladimir Putin listens to a journalist's question during a televised news conference in Sochi January 19, 2014. REUTERS/Alexei Nikolsky/RIA Novosti/Kremlin
Canada.com wrote that in the recent interview of Anatoly Pakhomov with Panorama magazine, he said, "We don't have them in our town." However, he made it certain that all gay visitors and athletes during the coming Olympics in the city will stay safe. His message is clear as to the extent of the hospitality they are willing to offer to everyone:
"Our hospitality will be extended to everyone who respects the laws of the Russian Federation and who doesn't impose their habits and their will on others. But yes, everyone is welcome."
When Mayor Pakhomov was pressed on how sure he is with his claim, he only offered a quick answer. "I am not sure, but I don't bloody know any," he stated.
In short, his recent claim just adds a more odd twist to the gay rights saga that was started by President Vladimir Putin, Yahoo reports. Russia has been hot in the news even before being chosen as the Winter Games host due to the new law that does not tolerate any "gay propaganda" on minors. Critics added though that such a law also puts a stop on all gay rights advocacy within the country.
The President though tried to calm down the controversial concerns by stating that the gay community did not suffer from any discrimination under his leadership. "But please leave the children in peace," he emphasized.
Mr Putin even defused the issues all the more by mentioning in his interviews that he has gay friends within his circle too and even a fan of world acclaimed singer Elton John. The president together with his ministers has always found a way to defend the law at every possible point. He even encouraged increasing the birth rate of Russia to serve as justification to put off homosexuality.
The Games which will be held in Sochi, Russia will run from Feb. 7 to 23, 2014.
(Video Credit: YouTube/The Young Turks)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Conspiracy To Withhold Full Cargo Manifest Still Alight
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- Tasmania Ranks No. 4 In Lonely Planet’s 'Top 10 Regions In The World To Visit In 2015' List
- Lonely Planet Lists Top Ten Countries To Visit in 2015
- Missing Sydney Father–Daughter In Nepal Blizzard Call Home
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’