Hillary Clinton Last Drove a Car in 1996; Is she an ‘Out of Touch’ Politician?
By Keerthi Mohan | January 28, 2014 7:34 PM EST
Hillary Clinton, who is expected to contest the 2016 elections, said at the Annual National Automobile Dealers Association convention in New Orleans on Monday that she hasn’t driven a car since 1996. And this comment has caused the Republicans to label her an “out of touch” politician.
Hillary said that the last time she got behind the wheel, her husband Bill Clinton was still the President of the United States of America.
“I remember it very well, and unfortunately, so does the Secret Service, which is why I haven’t driven since then,” Clinton jokingly said at the convention, according to reports.
America Rising, a GOP opposition research group, posted a video of the speech on its blog and indicated that Clinton might be out of touch with normal voters, and therefore not an ideal candidate for presidency.
“Hillary Clinton showed just how Washington she’s gone over the past two decades, jokingly telling the audience about the fact that she hasn’t driven a car in over 17 years,” the blog post read.
“Maybe she put in a tape of The Macarena (which was on top of the charts) during her last time behind the wheel?”
At the event, Clinton evaded the question on whether she’ll contest the 2016 elections saying that she is yet to think about it.
“We have a lot of issues right now that need to be dealt with…I’m not thinking about it. I’m trying to get other people not to think about it. I will think about it in the future sometime, but right now let’s think about what we have to do to continue building on our success,” Clinton said, according to MSNBC.
But Ready for Hillary, an independent political action committee urging the former Secretary of State to run for President, is gaining momentum at the grassroots level with more than two million supporters and 25,000 donors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date