New Zealander Singer Lorde Wins Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at Grammy Awards 2014
By jaskiran kaur | January 28, 2014 6:56 PM EST
New Zealander teen sensation and pop singer Lorde has joined the league of top-notch music artists of the world. Kiwi songstress grabbed two Grammy awards for her song titled "Royals" from her latest album "The Love Club EP." The 17 year- old artist won the honor in a ceremony marking 56th Annual Grammy Awards on Jan. 26, 2014 held in the legendary Staples Center in Los Angeles. Singer Lorde's win left her fans thrilled, her parents "in shock" and New Zealand PM John Key in awe of her talent.
The young singer from New Zealand won the much sought after titles at the 2014 Grammys awards. On the much awaited gala ceremony, the singer was announced to be the winner of the most coveted trophies and titles "Song of the Year" and "Best Pop Solo Performance" for her latest single "Royals."
Lorde's song "Royals" defeated four other songs by sterling artists of the industry to win the song of the year title. The other four nominees of the category were: "Just Give Me a Reason" by Pink, "Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars, "Roar" by Katy Perry and "Same Love" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.
And for the best pop solo performer title she beat: Sara Bareilles' "Brave," Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man," Justin Timberlake's "Mirrors" and Katy Perry's "Roar."
Lorde, originally known as Ella Yelich-O'Connor wrote the song with Joel Little. She also received nominations in Grammy Awards 2014 for titles such as Record of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Album.
With a rendition that blew everyone's mind, she made her debut at the Grammys. She gave enthralling performance of her Grammy winning song "Royals" at the gala ceremony on Sunday.
Her double Grammy win has brought her high praises and appreciation from her fans and others. A recent report revealed that Lorde's parents are "in shock" at her double Grammy win.
New Zealand Herald stated that Prime Minister John Key is highly appreciative of the teen Grammy winner from his country.
"She is just 17-years-old but what is most remarkable about Ella is that she has done it all in her own way - typically Kiwi, an unassuming way. If there were rules, no one told Lorde,' said New Zealand PM John Key as quoted by New Zealand Herald.
Lorde took to micro blogging site Twitter to express her gratitude to her fans on the same night. "I am so grateful for the attention my work has received tonight and this year. thankyou and goodnight" wrote Lorde on Twitter after winning Grammy Awards 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display