New Zealander Singer Lorde Wins Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at Grammy Awards 2014
By jaskiran kaur | January 28, 2014 6:56 PM EST
New Zealander teen sensation and pop singer Lorde has joined the league of top-notch music artists of the world. Kiwi songstress grabbed two Grammy awards for her song titled "Royals" from her latest album "The Love Club EP." The 17 year- old artist won the honor in a ceremony marking 56th Annual Grammy Awards on Jan. 26, 2014 held in the legendary Staples Center in Los Angeles. Singer Lorde's win left her fans thrilled, her parents "in shock" and New Zealand PM John Key in awe of her talent.
The young singer from New Zealand won the much sought after titles at the 2014 Grammys awards. On the much awaited gala ceremony, the singer was announced to be the winner of the most coveted trophies and titles "Song of the Year" and "Best Pop Solo Performance" for her latest single "Royals."
Lorde's song "Royals" defeated four other songs by sterling artists of the industry to win the song of the year title. The other four nominees of the category were: "Just Give Me a Reason" by Pink, "Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars, "Roar" by Katy Perry and "Same Love" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.
And for the best pop solo performer title she beat: Sara Bareilles' "Brave," Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man," Justin Timberlake's "Mirrors" and Katy Perry's "Roar."
Lorde, originally known as Ella Yelich-O'Connor wrote the song with Joel Little. She also received nominations in Grammy Awards 2014 for titles such as Record of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Album.
With a rendition that blew everyone's mind, she made her debut at the Grammys. She gave enthralling performance of her Grammy winning song "Royals" at the gala ceremony on Sunday.
Her double Grammy win has brought her high praises and appreciation from her fans and others. A recent report revealed that Lorde's parents are "in shock" at her double Grammy win.
New Zealand Herald stated that Prime Minister John Key is highly appreciative of the teen Grammy winner from his country.
"She is just 17-years-old but what is most remarkable about Ella is that she has done it all in her own way - typically Kiwi, an unassuming way. If there were rules, no one told Lorde,' said New Zealand PM John Key as quoted by New Zealand Herald.
Lorde took to micro blogging site Twitter to express her gratitude to her fans on the same night. "I am so grateful for the attention my work has received tonight and this year. thankyou and goodnight" wrote Lorde on Twitter after winning Grammy Awards 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World