Black Death and Bubonic Plagues May Return to Cause Modern Day Outbreaks Killing People in 24 Hours
By Ryan Inoyori | January 28, 2014 6:35 PM EST
Scientists are not just scared of how Avian, Swine influenza, and HIV/AIDS can bring out harm today. They fear that two deadliest plagues from the past have been connected and have the potential to return which may kill people within 24 hours if mutated as airborne infection.
Past Plagues to Haunt Back
There are two plagues which caused the deadliest pandemics known in history and that may return as new breeds to create future outbreaks. Researchers have found DNA bits from teeth of two German victims killed by the Plague of Justinian about 1,500 years ago and after genome reconstruction, they have found that a strain of Yersinia pestis caused the plague.
Yersinia pestis is the famous bacteria known to have caused the Black Death that killed 75 to 200 million people in Europe and has been determined to have killed millions in Asia, North Africa, Middle East and some parts of Europe during the Plague of Justinian.
"What this shows is that the plague jumped into humans on several different occasions and has gone on a rampage. That shows the jump is not that difficult to make and wasn't a wild fluke," said Tom Gilbert, professor at the Natural History Museum of Denmark noted by NBC News.
Pests are great factors to spread diseases in any nation inhabited by humans such as fleas on dogs or rats, rats themselves and mosquitoes. The bacteria which caused the two plagues may be lying dormant in deserts and arid places, where fleas could survive for long periods of time, that experts see a possible comeback more powerfully than imagined.
Modern medicine has evolved to produce effective antibiotics against infections caused by Yersinia pestis. However, any modern plague epidemic remains devastating even with available treatments.
"Plague is something that will continue to happen but modern-day antibiotics should be able to stop it," director of the Ancient DNA Centre at McMaster University, Hendrick Poinar said.
But public should be warned that strains and resistances are something possible on every bacteria upon evolution. Such evolution can make these strains airborne after bacteria reaches the lungs and spreads by coughing. This kind of airborne plague can kill people as fast as 24 hours after infection that does devastation to most undeveloped countries.
Notable Plagues Caused by Yersinia pestis
1. Black Death with estimated death of 75 to 200 million and ended by 19th century.
2. Plague of Justinian was a pandemic that afflicted Byzantine Empire prior to the Black Death.
3. Bubonic Plague is a disease connected to the Black Death that can kill infected people within four days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best