Australia Braces for Second Heatwave, Bushfires as Cyclone Threatens Queensland
By Reissa Su | January 28, 2014 6:01 PM EST
Fire authorities have issued catastrophic fire warnings in New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia that faces another scorching heat wave of up to 45 degrees Celsius. According to the Bureau of Meteorology, a severe heat wave will reach the border between Victoria and NSW on Jan 28.
REUTERS/South Australian Polic
A South Australian policeman offers a drink of water to a koala at the side of the road near Christies Beach on the outskirts of Adelaide, in this handout picture taken January 16, 2014. REUTERS/South Australian Police/Handout via Reuters
The heatwave will expand to the inland border area and reach Western Australia on Friday, Jan 31. Strong winds in parts of South Australia have prompted fire authorities to issue a fire danger warning in anticipation of bushfires.
Extreme fire danger warnings are in place in over some parts of the Eyre peninsula, Yorke peninsula, Mount Lofty ranges, Murraylands, Adelaide metropolitan, Riverland regions and Kangaroo Island.
The Country Fire Service has advised residents living near areas prone to bushfires to leave early in case of catastrophic fire danger. Fire authorities said it will be difficult to control wildfires since they need cooler weather conditions and significant resources.
Adelaide is predicted to 41C temperature on Jan 30. Melbourne has reached 39C but a cooler change is expected by next week as cool winds will embrace the coastal regions. For the rest of the week, NSW will have 40C temperatures.
Extreme fire danger has been issued in some parts of Victoria as total fire bans are in place for Wimmera, some regions in Gipplsnad and Mailee. Country Fire Authority state duty officer Stephen Walls said total fire bans must be strictly observed to reduce the chances of triggering a fire.
It is the second heatwave to hit in January after the record-breaking heatwave struck Victoria earlier in the month. The heatwaved sparked bushfires in the state of Victoria and killed one person. Fires in South Australia and New South Wales were also reported and prompted officials to issue several fire alerts. South-east Australia has been experiencing consecutive days of scorching temperatures. Various reports said that Victoria had at least 43 fires while South Australia had 16 blazes. Authorities reported 12 fires in New South Wales on Jan. 17.
Possible cyclone in Queensland
Meanwhile, severe weather including heavy rain, flashfloods and strong 90km/h winds are expected to batter northern Queensland as a cyclone threatens to form. The weather bureau has predicted heavy rains to pour between Port Douglas and Mackay beginning in the afternoon of Jan 29.
A tropical depression has been spotted about 870 kilometres east-northeast of Cairns and has a 50 per cent probability of turning into a cyclone. Residents are advised to prepare for severe weather and monitor weather updates.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6