World's Tallest Woman Undergoes Surgery at AIIMS to Remove Tumour that Triggered Excessive Growth
By Roshni Mahesh | January 28, 2014 6:00 PM EST
A West Bengal-based woman, who set a Guinness World Record for being 7 feet and 8 inches tall last September, has successfully undergone a brain surgery to remove a tumour that played a huge role in her excessive growth.
The 25-year-old West Bengal woman, who set a Guinness World Record for measuring 7 feet 8 inches last September, has successfully undergone brain surgery to remove a tumour that played a huge role in her excessive growth.
The 25-year-old woman, whose name has been not been revealed, was suffering from pituitary adenoma (non-cancerous tumours in the pituitary gland), for the past 15 years. In a major surgery that took place at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi on 15 January, doctors removed the four-centimetre long tumour that had been forcing the anterior pituitary gland to produce excess growth hormones (GH) in the woman, a medical condition generally known as acromegaly, The Indian Express reported.
However, the rare condition remained undetected as the woman, who hails from a remote village in the Dinajpur district in West Bengal, and her parents were too poor and illiterate to find a solution to her problems. With nobody to help her, the woman led a miserable life, fully confined to the four walls of her house, for nearly for 15 years. Moved by her pathetic condition, a school teacher in the premises got her admitted to the institute last month.
At the time of admission, she weighed 130 kiligrams and had a shoe size of 15-16. Medical tests and scans showed that the woman had an abnormal growth hormone level (80 mlU/dl compared to the normal 0-5 mlU/dl) and extremely enlarged organs. The woman was also suffering from high BP, diabetes, low calcium levels and had multiple fractures in vertebrae. She was yet to hit puberty and doctors found that she was at greater risk of developing heart problems and permanent blindness, due to the pressure of the tumour on the optic nerves.
As the tumour was difficult to access through the head, doctors conducted an endoscopic skull base endonasal surgery that uses nostrils to enter the brain and the tumour. "The tumour was difficult to access through her head since it was at the base of the skull, so we inserted an endoscope through one nostril," Dr Ashish Suri, professor of neurosurgery at AIIMS, told Indian Express.
"We used a high-speed drill (with a speed of about one lakh rotations per minute) to cut into the layers of brain and remove the tumour. A high level of precision were required to avoid any collateral damage to the eye nerve and the brain stem," Dr Suri told The Times of India.
Doctors are planning to conduct another surgery after three months to remove a small portion of the tumour they couldn't remove as it lies near to some of the important blood vessels in the brain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola-Free, Urges Other Nations To Replicate Success Story
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- Ebola Czar In US To Work On Bringing Down Anxiety Levels About The Epidemic : Nigeria Cheers As It Becomes Ebola Free
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop