New Zealand Doctor Bit by Large Shark, Survived, and Stitched Leg Before Going to Pub
By Reissa Su | January 28, 2014 5:30 PM EST
A man survived a shark attack in New Zealand by stabbing the large creature with his knife then swimming to shore. Although the shark bit James Grant, a doctor, on the leg, it didn't stop him from going to the pub first to have a beer before going to the hospital.
A shark swims in a marine display at an aquarium in Cape Town, South Africa, June 10, 2007. REUTERS/FINBARR O'REILLY
Mr Grant went spearfishing on Jan 25 in about six feet of water in Garden Bay in Invercargill when he suddenly felt a deep bite on his leg. At first, he thought it was one of his friends pulling off a prank but when he turned around, he was shocked to see what he thought was a sevengill shark. He quickly pulled his diving knife and stabbed the creature several times in an attempt to get it off his leg.
Mr Grant told Radio News Zealand the shark might have let him go because he was able to give it a "few nicks." He swam as fast as he could just as the shark took off. When he removed his wetsuit, he saw that a row of teeth marks had punctured his leg. Mr Grant thought his wounds could have been worse if he had not been wearing the 7 mm thick wetsuit. His friends thought he was joking when he tried to wave his friends back to shore.
When his friends did not join him, Mr Grant left and tried to be resourceful. He took out the needle and thread from his first aid kit then began to stitch his wound. He walked to a nearby pub to have a beer. Someone gave him a bandage for his leg.
Mr Grant worked as a doctor in Southland Hospital. He finally had the chance to clean and stitch his wound properly.
Despite having an almost fatal encounter with a large sevengill shark, Mr Grant said he will be back in the water when his stitches come out. Sevengill sharks can grow up to three metres in length. Humans are not part of their food chain but they attack when they feel threatened or agitated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert