Macklemore Gets Public Backlash for Winning Four Grammy Awards or for Defeating Kendrick Lamar? [VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | January 28, 2014 4:44 PM EST
American rapper Ben Haggerty, better known by his stage name Macklemore has won not one but four Grammy Awards on Monday. The social media is abuzz with this news and are wondering if the 30-year-old artist actually deserved to win or not. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis defeated Kendrick Lamar to win Best New Artist award. The duo grabbed Best Rap Performance by beating Eminem, Jay-Z, Drake and Kendrick Lamar again and their song "Thrift Song" won Best Rap Song and Best Rap Album too for "The Heist."
Hip hop artists Macklemore (R) and Ryan Lewis pose backstage with their awards for Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance for "Thrift Shop", Best Rap Song for "Thrift Shop" and Best Rap Album for "The Heist" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
"My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album... I'm honored and completely blown…," said Macklemore on Twitter.
"You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you," the winner Macklemore sent a text message to Kendrick Lamar and posted on his Instagram page for the world to read!
"I was gonna say that during the speech. Then the music started playing during my speech and I froze. Anyway, you know what it is. Congrats on this year and your music. Appreciate you as an artist and as a friend. Much love," continued the message.
Reading Macklemore's message, we realise that even he was shocked to win the Grammy and had even "apologized" to the person who deserved to win - Kendrick Lamar. Gawker.com has called Macklemore as a "ho bag' who did not deserve to win.
"Macklemore is not a role model. Macklemore is not some real cool guy. Macklemore is just some guy who makes catchy songs, sells Dr. Pepper, and gives bad apologies," said the Web site.
"Don't Blame Macklemore For Best Rap Album, Blame The Recording Academy," is the headline Huffington Post has used to describe Macklemore's surprise win.
"To put it mildly, the Recording Academy really has no idea what it's doing when it comes to determining who will take home hip-hop's top trophies. Just ask Kanye," writes their entertainment writer Ryan Kristobak for Huffington Post.
The writer has gone a step further and called the Grammy Awards selection a "flawed" process where voters have a say in categories that "they have no understanding of or experience in.".
Other Web site that echoes the same sentiment is Policymic.com which says "Macklemore's wins prove the Grammys don't care about real rap."
"Their victory did not come as much of a surprise, but it was disappointing to see it beat out much more artistic, complex albums like Kendrick Lamar's good kid m.A.A.d. city for Rap Album of the Year. Yet its success perfectly encapsulates what happened to music in 2013," said the web site further.
Did Macklemore deserve to win four Grammy Awards Monday night? What are your views? Watch their performance below and let us know.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage