Macklemore Gets Public Backlash for Winning Four Grammy Awards or for Defeating Kendrick Lamar? [VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | January 28, 2014 4:44 PM EST
American rapper Ben Haggerty, better known by his stage name Macklemore has won not one but four Grammy Awards on Monday. The social media is abuzz with this news and are wondering if the 30-year-old artist actually deserved to win or not. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis defeated Kendrick Lamar to win Best New Artist award. The duo grabbed Best Rap Performance by beating Eminem, Jay-Z, Drake and Kendrick Lamar again and their song "Thrift Song" won Best Rap Song and Best Rap Album too for "The Heist."
Hip hop artists Macklemore (R) and Ryan Lewis pose backstage with their awards for Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance for "Thrift Shop", Best Rap Song for "Thrift Shop" and Best Rap Album for "The Heist" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
"My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album... I'm honored and completely blown…," said Macklemore on Twitter.
"You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you," the winner Macklemore sent a text message to Kendrick Lamar and posted on his Instagram page for the world to read!
"I was gonna say that during the speech. Then the music started playing during my speech and I froze. Anyway, you know what it is. Congrats on this year and your music. Appreciate you as an artist and as a friend. Much love," continued the message.
Reading Macklemore's message, we realise that even he was shocked to win the Grammy and had even "apologized" to the person who deserved to win - Kendrick Lamar. Gawker.com has called Macklemore as a "ho bag' who did not deserve to win.
"Macklemore is not a role model. Macklemore is not some real cool guy. Macklemore is just some guy who makes catchy songs, sells Dr. Pepper, and gives bad apologies," said the Web site.
"Don't Blame Macklemore For Best Rap Album, Blame The Recording Academy," is the headline Huffington Post has used to describe Macklemore's surprise win.
"To put it mildly, the Recording Academy really has no idea what it's doing when it comes to determining who will take home hip-hop's top trophies. Just ask Kanye," writes their entertainment writer Ryan Kristobak for Huffington Post.
The writer has gone a step further and called the Grammy Awards selection a "flawed" process where voters have a say in categories that "they have no understanding of or experience in.".
Other Web site that echoes the same sentiment is Policymic.com which says "Macklemore's wins prove the Grammys don't care about real rap."
"Their victory did not come as much of a surprise, but it was disappointing to see it beat out much more artistic, complex albums like Kendrick Lamar's good kid m.A.A.d. city for Rap Album of the Year. Yet its success perfectly encapsulates what happened to music in 2013," said the web site further.
Did Macklemore deserve to win four Grammy Awards Monday night? What are your views? Watch their performance below and let us know.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Baby Bump Pictures Allegedly Arrive on Instagram, Reported to be Pregnant with French Montana's Baby
- Kim Kardashian's Divorce Struggles: Kanye West Emotionally Unavailable, Neglects Kim and North West on Trip to Mexico
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report