Macklemore Gets Public Backlash for Winning Four Grammy Awards or for Defeating Kendrick Lamar? [VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | January 28, 2014 4:44 PM EST
American rapper Ben Haggerty, better known by his stage name Macklemore has won not one but four Grammy Awards on Monday. The social media is abuzz with this news and are wondering if the 30-year-old artist actually deserved to win or not. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis defeated Kendrick Lamar to win Best New Artist award. The duo grabbed Best Rap Performance by beating Eminem, Jay-Z, Drake and Kendrick Lamar again and their song "Thrift Song" won Best Rap Song and Best Rap Album too for "The Heist."
Hip hop artists Macklemore (R) and Ryan Lewis pose backstage with their awards for Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance for "Thrift Shop", Best Rap Song for "Thrift Shop" and Best Rap Album for "The Heist" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
"My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album... I'm honored and completely blown…," said Macklemore on Twitter.
"You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you," the winner Macklemore sent a text message to Kendrick Lamar and posted on his Instagram page for the world to read!
"I was gonna say that during the speech. Then the music started playing during my speech and I froze. Anyway, you know what it is. Congrats on this year and your music. Appreciate you as an artist and as a friend. Much love," continued the message.
Reading Macklemore's message, we realise that even he was shocked to win the Grammy and had even "apologized" to the person who deserved to win - Kendrick Lamar. Gawker.com has called Macklemore as a "ho bag' who did not deserve to win.
"Macklemore is not a role model. Macklemore is not some real cool guy. Macklemore is just some guy who makes catchy songs, sells Dr. Pepper, and gives bad apologies," said the Web site.
"Don't Blame Macklemore For Best Rap Album, Blame The Recording Academy," is the headline Huffington Post has used to describe Macklemore's surprise win.
"To put it mildly, the Recording Academy really has no idea what it's doing when it comes to determining who will take home hip-hop's top trophies. Just ask Kanye," writes their entertainment writer Ryan Kristobak for Huffington Post.
The writer has gone a step further and called the Grammy Awards selection a "flawed" process where voters have a say in categories that "they have no understanding of or experience in.".
Other Web site that echoes the same sentiment is Policymic.com which says "Macklemore's wins prove the Grammys don't care about real rap."
"Their victory did not come as much of a surprise, but it was disappointing to see it beat out much more artistic, complex albums like Kendrick Lamar's good kid m.A.A.d. city for Rap Album of the Year. Yet its success perfectly encapsulates what happened to music in 2013," said the web site further.
Did Macklemore deserve to win four Grammy Awards Monday night? What are your views? Watch their performance below and let us know.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family