Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Offload Promising Goalkeeper for Madrid Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | January 28, 2014 3:22 PM EST
With the winter transfer window on its final days, Chelsea yet again makes a surprising move, agreeing on a player-to-player switch with Atletico Madrid, according to local papers in Spain.
Diego Costa (Left) could be headed to Stamford Bridge this coming summer
Promising Blues goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois might stay permanently at the Vicente Calderon Stadium after the west London outfit gave the nod to keep him in exchange for Atletico striker Diego Costa.
Costa has tallied a total of 19 goals and 2 assists, thus far, for the Madrid-based club in the La Liga.
However, the deal is reported to take effect this coming summer following Chelsea's failure to lure any top-class strikers to head to Stamford Bridge this month.
Meanwhile, the 21-year-old Belgian wants assurance that he will be first-choice, should the Premier League side still want to keep him, which the Blues cannot guarantee at this point because of Petr Cech's presence.
"It is not up to me to say I am going to be No 1, but neither do I want to go to a team and not play. I want to play, if not at Chelsea, then at another team," said Courtois.
"Now Atleti are waiting until Chelsea says something. Maybe by the end of March, more or less."
May this be considered a wise move by Chelsea, given the fact that Courtois is regarded to be a great asset in the near future? Or is Mourinho just clinging on to the fantasy that his "old" boys still has it?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales