Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Offload Promising Goalkeeper for Madrid Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | January 28, 2014 3:22 PM EST
With the winter transfer window on its final days, Chelsea yet again makes a surprising move, agreeing on a player-to-player switch with Atletico Madrid, according to local papers in Spain.
Diego Costa (Left) could be headed to Stamford Bridge this coming summer
Promising Blues goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois might stay permanently at the Vicente Calderon Stadium after the west London outfit gave the nod to keep him in exchange for Atletico striker Diego Costa.
Costa has tallied a total of 19 goals and 2 assists, thus far, for the Madrid-based club in the La Liga.
However, the deal is reported to take effect this coming summer following Chelsea's failure to lure any top-class strikers to head to Stamford Bridge this month.
Meanwhile, the 21-year-old Belgian wants assurance that he will be first-choice, should the Premier League side still want to keep him, which the Blues cannot guarantee at this point because of Petr Cech's presence.
"It is not up to me to say I am going to be No 1, but neither do I want to go to a team and not play. I want to play, if not at Chelsea, then at another team," said Courtois.
"Now Atleti are waiting until Chelsea says something. Maybe by the end of March, more or less."
May this be considered a wise move by Chelsea, given the fact that Courtois is regarded to be a great asset in the near future? Or is Mourinho just clinging on to the fantasy that his "old" boys still has it?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar