Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram' Continues to Dominate over Vijay's 'Jilla' at Chennai BO
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 28, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Pongal releases "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to retain the top two spots at the Chennai box office, despite new film releases. [Also Read: "Jilla", "Veeram" 17-day collections from overseas markets]
According to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai, "Veeram" has continued to dominate over "Jilla" in its third weekend (24-26 January). Newly released "Goli Soda" has taken the third spot followed by Salman Khan's Bollywood flick "Jai Ho."
Chennai Box Office (24 to 26 January)
3. Goli Soda
4. Jai Ho
5. 47 Ronin
"Veeram", which was leading over "Jilla" during the second weekend, has managed to sustain its momentum and continue to top the Chennai box office.
The Ajith starrer is estimated to have earned ₹5.36 crore (since its release) at the Chennai box office, whereas "Jilla" has collected ₹5.09 crore, according to Behindwoods.
Despite new releases, "Veeram" and "Jilla" are running successfully in theatres and are fast approaching the 25-day mark.
"Veeram" is leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu, but the Vijay starrer has managed to outperform the Ajith starrer at the worldwide box office. Both the films are still being shown in a few screens at the overseas markets.
Prior to the release, distributors were wary of the Vijay and the Ajith starrers hitting theatres on the same day (10 January) as they felt that the films might eat into each other's revenue. Surprisingly, both the films did fantastic business despite facing strong competition from each other.
Much to the delight of "Thala" (Ajith) and "Thalapathy" (Vijay) fans, both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have turned to be hits.
Now that the films have done well at the box office, the focus has shifted to Ajith and Vijay's next projects. Both the actors are set to team up with renowned directors.
While Ajith will be working with Gautham Menon for the first time, Vijay is set to team up with AR Murugadoss for the second time post the success of "Thuppakkai."
Both the untitled films have evinced great interest among fans.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills