Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram' Continues to Dominate over Vijay's 'Jilla' at Chennai BO
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 28, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Pongal releases "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to retain the top two spots at the Chennai box office, despite new film releases. [Also Read: "Jilla", "Veeram" 17-day collections from overseas markets]
According to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai, "Veeram" has continued to dominate over "Jilla" in its third weekend (24-26 January). Newly released "Goli Soda" has taken the third spot followed by Salman Khan's Bollywood flick "Jai Ho."
Chennai Box Office (24 to 26 January)
3. Goli Soda
4. Jai Ho
5. 47 Ronin
"Veeram", which was leading over "Jilla" during the second weekend, has managed to sustain its momentum and continue to top the Chennai box office.
The Ajith starrer is estimated to have earned ₹5.36 crore (since its release) at the Chennai box office, whereas "Jilla" has collected ₹5.09 crore, according to Behindwoods.
Despite new releases, "Veeram" and "Jilla" are running successfully in theatres and are fast approaching the 25-day mark.
"Veeram" is leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu, but the Vijay starrer has managed to outperform the Ajith starrer at the worldwide box office. Both the films are still being shown in a few screens at the overseas markets.
Prior to the release, distributors were wary of the Vijay and the Ajith starrers hitting theatres on the same day (10 January) as they felt that the films might eat into each other's revenue. Surprisingly, both the films did fantastic business despite facing strong competition from each other.
Much to the delight of "Thala" (Ajith) and "Thalapathy" (Vijay) fans, both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have turned to be hits.
Now that the films have done well at the box office, the focus has shifted to Ajith and Vijay's next projects. Both the actors are set to team up with renowned directors.
While Ajith will be working with Gautham Menon for the first time, Vijay is set to team up with AR Murugadoss for the second time post the success of "Thuppakkai."
Both the untitled films have evinced great interest among fans.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On