Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram' Continues to Dominate over Vijay's 'Jilla' at Chennai BO
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 28, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Pongal releases "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to retain the top two spots at the Chennai box office, despite new film releases. [Also Read: "Jilla", "Veeram" 17-day collections from overseas markets]
According to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai, "Veeram" has continued to dominate over "Jilla" in its third weekend (24-26 January). Newly released "Goli Soda" has taken the third spot followed by Salman Khan's Bollywood flick "Jai Ho."
Chennai Box Office (24 to 26 January)
3. Goli Soda
4. Jai Ho
5. 47 Ronin
"Veeram", which was leading over "Jilla" during the second weekend, has managed to sustain its momentum and continue to top the Chennai box office.
The Ajith starrer is estimated to have earned ₹5.36 crore (since its release) at the Chennai box office, whereas "Jilla" has collected ₹5.09 crore, according to Behindwoods.
Despite new releases, "Veeram" and "Jilla" are running successfully in theatres and are fast approaching the 25-day mark.
"Veeram" is leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu, but the Vijay starrer has managed to outperform the Ajith starrer at the worldwide box office. Both the films are still being shown in a few screens at the overseas markets.
Prior to the release, distributors were wary of the Vijay and the Ajith starrers hitting theatres on the same day (10 January) as they felt that the films might eat into each other's revenue. Surprisingly, both the films did fantastic business despite facing strong competition from each other.
Much to the delight of "Thala" (Ajith) and "Thalapathy" (Vijay) fans, both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have turned to be hits.
Now that the films have done well at the box office, the focus has shifted to Ajith and Vijay's next projects. Both the actors are set to team up with renowned directors.
While Ajith will be working with Gautham Menon for the first time, Vijay is set to team up with AR Murugadoss for the second time post the success of "Thuppakkai."
Both the untitled films have evinced great interest among fans.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]