Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram' Continues to Dominate over Vijay's 'Jilla' at Chennai BO
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 28, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Pongal releases "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to retain the top two spots at the Chennai box office, despite new film releases. [Also Read: "Jilla", "Veeram" 17-day collections from overseas markets]
According to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai, "Veeram" has continued to dominate over "Jilla" in its third weekend (24-26 January). Newly released "Goli Soda" has taken the third spot followed by Salman Khan's Bollywood flick "Jai Ho."
Chennai Box Office (24 to 26 January)
3. Goli Soda
4. Jai Ho
5. 47 Ronin
"Veeram", which was leading over "Jilla" during the second weekend, has managed to sustain its momentum and continue to top the Chennai box office.
The Ajith starrer is estimated to have earned ₹5.36 crore (since its release) at the Chennai box office, whereas "Jilla" has collected ₹5.09 crore, according to Behindwoods.
Despite new releases, "Veeram" and "Jilla" are running successfully in theatres and are fast approaching the 25-day mark.
"Veeram" is leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu, but the Vijay starrer has managed to outperform the Ajith starrer at the worldwide box office. Both the films are still being shown in a few screens at the overseas markets.
Prior to the release, distributors were wary of the Vijay and the Ajith starrers hitting theatres on the same day (10 January) as they felt that the films might eat into each other's revenue. Surprisingly, both the films did fantastic business despite facing strong competition from each other.
Much to the delight of "Thala" (Ajith) and "Thalapathy" (Vijay) fans, both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have turned to be hits.
Now that the films have done well at the box office, the focus has shifted to Ajith and Vijay's next projects. Both the actors are set to team up with renowned directors.
While Ajith will be working with Gautham Menon for the first time, Vijay is set to team up with AR Murugadoss for the second time post the success of "Thuppakkai."
Both the untitled films have evinced great interest among fans.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best