Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram' Continues to Dominate over Vijay's 'Jilla' at Chennai BO
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 28, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Pongal releases "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to retain the top two spots at the Chennai box office, despite new film releases. [Also Read: "Jilla", "Veeram" 17-day collections from overseas markets]
According to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai, "Veeram" has continued to dominate over "Jilla" in its third weekend (24-26 January). Newly released "Goli Soda" has taken the third spot followed by Salman Khan's Bollywood flick "Jai Ho."
Chennai Box Office (24 to 26 January)
3. Goli Soda
4. Jai Ho
5. 47 Ronin
"Veeram", which was leading over "Jilla" during the second weekend, has managed to sustain its momentum and continue to top the Chennai box office.
The Ajith starrer is estimated to have earned ₹5.36 crore (since its release) at the Chennai box office, whereas "Jilla" has collected ₹5.09 crore, according to Behindwoods.
Despite new releases, "Veeram" and "Jilla" are running successfully in theatres and are fast approaching the 25-day mark.
"Veeram" is leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu, but the Vijay starrer has managed to outperform the Ajith starrer at the worldwide box office. Both the films are still being shown in a few screens at the overseas markets.
Prior to the release, distributors were wary of the Vijay and the Ajith starrers hitting theatres on the same day (10 January) as they felt that the films might eat into each other's revenue. Surprisingly, both the films did fantastic business despite facing strong competition from each other.
Much to the delight of "Thala" (Ajith) and "Thalapathy" (Vijay) fans, both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have turned to be hits.
Now that the films have done well at the box office, the focus has shifted to Ajith and Vijay's next projects. Both the actors are set to team up with renowned directors.
While Ajith will be working with Gautham Menon for the first time, Vijay is set to team up with AR Murugadoss for the second time post the success of "Thuppakkai."
Both the untitled films have evinced great interest among fans.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko