Manchester United Transfer News: Newcastle Midfielder On His Way to PSG
By Deepak Vikraman | January 28, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Manchester United look like missing out on the opportunity to sign Yohan Cabaye after reports and indeed Alan Pardew suggested the French international midfielder could be on his way to Paris Saint-Germain before the January transfer window shuts at the end of the week.
Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye is reportedly on the brink of signing for PSG
PSG reportedly had a £14 million bid turned down by Newcastle a couple of days ago, but the French champions have come in with a bigger offer, which the English Premier League side have found difficult to reject, according to Sky Sports.
Pardew, speaking to reporters ahead of Newcastle's Premier League game at Norwich, admitted he was far from confident his premier midfielder would still be a Magpie come the end of January, with the manager more than aware of how quick things can change during the transfer window having witnessed Andy Carroll leave for £35 million to Liverpool not too long ago.
"You are talking to someone who lost Andy Carroll with eight hours to go, so am I confident? No, I'm not confident and I don't think any team not in a Champions League position or fighting for a Champions League position could be," Pardew said.
"We know we have got a club interested in Cabaye, a very wealthy club and a powerful club, and we are conscious of that. We are doing our best to protect Newcastle.
"I don't want him to go. We have not indicated for one moment here from the owner down to any of my staff that we want him to go, not one iota."
However, with a place in the Champions League looking as difficult as staying warm in Siberia, keeping a player of Cabaye's quality will be next to impossible, especially with the likes of PSG and now Manchester United showing a keen interest.
"Listen, we are a club that unfortunately at the minute, is not in a Champions League position, so therefore players can turn around to us and say they want Champions League, as Luis Suarez did with Liverpool," Pardew added.
"He stayed, Suarez, and they have got themselves in a position for the Champions league, but they wouldn't be there without him.
"It's a Catch 22 situation: you need to keep your best players to get in there and likewise, they want to play in there, so you have got to give them some hope. That's the position we really need to get ourselves into this year, or definitely next year or the year beyond.
"We have got big players, we attract good players, but we are not in a Champions League position or are able to say at the minute, 'We could be Champions League, stay with us and get the football here.'
"We are just a little bit off it. Maybe if we had got a couple more results in January, I could turn around to players and say, 'Well look, stay until the summer and we could be Champions League ourselves.'
"But it's probably difficult to say that with the other teams who have just kept winning, unfortunately. He has been a great player for this football club, and I think he has got better in this role that I have given him this year. He's playing number 10 for us and he's really taken to it.
"It's boosted his confidence and boosted his value as well, I think."
United were thought to be considering making a bid for Cabaye, who was the subject of a failed bid by Arsenal last summer, in the next few days, to follow up their big-money capture of Juan Mata; but with the money that PSG have at their disposal, David Moyes and co. might have to overpay for a player who is already 28, leaving Laurent Blanc's men as the firm favourites.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced