Galaxy S5 and Xperia Sirius: Can They Beat Apple's iPhone 5S and iOS 7 with Latest Features and Specs?
By Ryan Inoyori | January 28, 2014 2:19 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 is expected to attend Mobile World Congress 2014 and possibly meet one of its competitors - the Sony Sirius. But can they beat iPhone 5S together with their latest features and specs?
Display and Resolution
The Galaxy S5 features 5.25 inches of screen and qHD 2,560 x 1,440 display resolution compared to Galaxy S4. The iPhone 5S 4.0-inch display and 640 x 1,136 resolution which looks tiny against the Galaxy S5 and can only be matched by Sony's upcoming Sirius smartphone. It is unknown if HTC can match such as high resolution display using its M8 handset.
Processor and Memory
Unlike theh Galaxy S4, the Galaxy S5 sports an upgraded Exynos 6 octa-core processor with 64-bit support like the iPhone 5S and consumes 50 per cent less power than the previous version which also generates less amount of heat. Moreover, a 3 GB of RAM chipset will support the smartphone to perform seamless multitasking by maximising the 64-bit processor.
Camera and Imaging
Samsung upgraded the Galaxy S5's camera to 16 MP which is expected to feature several new camera modes and shoot images with great detail. However, the iPhone 5S boasts dual-LED flash camera, while Sony Sirius will use 20.7 MP Sony G lens optics with Optical Image Stabilisation. Samsung didn't confirm yet if the Galaxy S5 has the module.
The Galaxy S5 and Xperia Sirius will use Android 4.4 KitKat version to match the iPhone 5S's iOS 7, but all of their initial versions have been reported to carry major issues in battery performance and camera app. But unlike Apple which awaits March to push iOS 7.1 version, Google already sent out Android 4.4.2 to fix those major bugs.
1. User Interface
The Galaxy S5 is rumoured to feature the brand new magazine-style TouchWiz, while the Xperia Sirius will exclusively get the latest Android 4.4-based Xperia home UI. iOS changed drastically from sophisticated icons and themes to simple yet Windows Phone-like impression that could affect buyers' point of view.
Unlike the iPhone 5S, Samsung will add Rapid Charging and new battery type on the Galaxy S5, while Sony planned Magnetic Wireless Resonance on Xperia Sirius which could help users to maximise battery performance.
3. Security Feature
Fingerprint Sensor is now enabled on the Galaxy S5 but goes for a different approach than the iPhone 5S. Instead of on the home button, Samsung added the new feature on the display screen for better access and convenience.
4. Camera Modes
Right now, Sony seems have the edge with camera modes on the Xperia Sirius. It features 4K video recording, TimeShift video, Background Defocus, AR effect, Creative Effect, Info-Eye and two more modes.
The iPhone 5S features Gorilla Glass and anti-fingerprint protection, while the Xperia Sirius features dust and water resistances, and shatter-proof screen. The Galaxy S5 has one variant which is made of metal that greatly improves resilience than its plastic counterpart. Expect new videos of crashing and smashing on Galaxy S5 vs. iPhone 5S this year.
|Specifications||Galaxy S5||Xperia Sirius||iPhone 5S|
|Display||5.25" 2,560 x 1,440||5.25" 2,560 x 1,440||4.0 640 x 1,136|
|Processor||Exynos 6 octa 64-bit/Snapdragon 805 quad-core||Snapdragon 800 quad-core||Cyclone dual-core 64-bit|
|RAM||3 GB||2 GB||1 GB|
|Camera||16 MP||20.7 MP||8 MP|
|Battery||2,900 mAh||TBA||1,560 mAh|
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change