Australian Dollar Outlook - 28 January 2014
By Christine Gaylican | January 28, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar has recovered slightly, after hitting a low of USD0.8660 over the long weekend.
Australia: week last week, the AUD went into the Australian Day Long Weekend on the back foot, sold off against its major counterparts following
weaker Chinese data and comments from a RBA board member.
The multi-trillion dollar foreign currency markets are currently largely unregulated (Photo: Reuters)
The AUD hit a low of USD0.8660, its lowest level since July 2010. However we saw investors take this opportunity to lock in some profits on the latest fall, driving the AUD back above the USD0.8700 level in offshore trade yesterday. Today we have the release of NAB's business survey for
December. Most are expecting business confidence to have declined.
Offshore this week the market will look towards the RBNZ and FOMC policy decision on Wednesday and Thursday.
Majors: US equities were mixed while European markets were generally softer overnight. The Dow rose 0.3% while the Nasdaq traded lower by
0.4%. There was little in the way of data releases with weaker than expected US house sales against an upbeat German business confidence
report. The USD was relatively stable against it major trading rivals, while the JPY stabilised.
Oil prices were lower on worries about the weaker growth prospect in emerging markets, while gold fell 1.3% to USD1,254.10 per ounce, ahead of the Federal Reserve policy meeting tomorrow. Also ahead this week we have GDP figures being release in the UK, Durable Goods orders in the US and Chinese Manufacturing PMI for the month of January.
28 JAN AU NAB Business Confidence/Conditions
UK GDP QoQ/YoY
US Consumer Confidence Index
For latest pricing, ranges, visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Italian Appeals Court Overturns 2013 Sex with Underage Prostitute Conviction Against Former PM Silvio Berlusconi
- New Senator Jacqui Lambie Heats Up Aussie Radio by Saying Potential Suitor Should Be Rich and Well-Hung
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time