Australian Dollar Outlook - 28 January 2014
By Christine Gaylican | January 28, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar has recovered slightly, after hitting a low of USD0.8660 over the long weekend.
Australia: week last week, the AUD went into the Australian Day Long Weekend on the back foot, sold off against its major counterparts following
weaker Chinese data and comments from a RBA board member.
The multi-trillion dollar foreign currency markets are currently largely unregulated (Photo: Reuters)
The AUD hit a low of USD0.8660, its lowest level since July 2010. However we saw investors take this opportunity to lock in some profits on the latest fall, driving the AUD back above the USD0.8700 level in offshore trade yesterday. Today we have the release of NAB's business survey for
December. Most are expecting business confidence to have declined.
Offshore this week the market will look towards the RBNZ and FOMC policy decision on Wednesday and Thursday.
Majors: US equities were mixed while European markets were generally softer overnight. The Dow rose 0.3% while the Nasdaq traded lower by
0.4%. There was little in the way of data releases with weaker than expected US house sales against an upbeat German business confidence
report. The USD was relatively stable against it major trading rivals, while the JPY stabilised.
Oil prices were lower on worries about the weaker growth prospect in emerging markets, while gold fell 1.3% to USD1,254.10 per ounce, ahead of the Federal Reserve policy meeting tomorrow. Also ahead this week we have GDP figures being release in the UK, Durable Goods orders in the US and Chinese Manufacturing PMI for the month of January.
28 JAN AU NAB Business Confidence/Conditions
UK GDP QoQ/YoY
US Consumer Confidence Index
For latest pricing, ranges, visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase