Australian Dollar Outlook - 28 January 2014
By Christine Gaylican | January 28, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar has recovered slightly, after hitting a low of USD0.8660 over the long weekend.
Australia: week last week, the AUD went into the Australian Day Long Weekend on the back foot, sold off against its major counterparts following
weaker Chinese data and comments from a RBA board member.
The multi-trillion dollar foreign currency markets are currently largely unregulated (Photo: Reuters)
The AUD hit a low of USD0.8660, its lowest level since July 2010. However we saw investors take this opportunity to lock in some profits on the latest fall, driving the AUD back above the USD0.8700 level in offshore trade yesterday. Today we have the release of NAB's business survey for
December. Most are expecting business confidence to have declined.
Offshore this week the market will look towards the RBNZ and FOMC policy decision on Wednesday and Thursday.
Majors: US equities were mixed while European markets were generally softer overnight. The Dow rose 0.3% while the Nasdaq traded lower by
0.4%. There was little in the way of data releases with weaker than expected US house sales against an upbeat German business confidence
report. The USD was relatively stable against it major trading rivals, while the JPY stabilised.
Oil prices were lower on worries about the weaker growth prospect in emerging markets, while gold fell 1.3% to USD1,254.10 per ounce, ahead of the Federal Reserve policy meeting tomorrow. Also ahead this week we have GDP figures being release in the UK, Durable Goods orders in the US and Chinese Manufacturing PMI for the month of January.
28 JAN AU NAB Business Confidence/Conditions
UK GDP QoQ/YoY
US Consumer Confidence Index
For latest pricing, ranges, visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports