Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Vs. Sony Xperia Z1: Specs Comparison, Which is the Better Phablet?
By Precious Silva | January 28, 2014 2:12 PM EST
Samsung and Sony has been working relentlessly to improve their smartphone offerings. In 2013, both companies released some of their most powerful devices yet: the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Sony Xperia Z series. Sony has been banking on hybrid devices like the Sony Xperia Z1 phablet. With good market reception, there are experts saying Sony's Xperia Z1 is a good alternative to Samsung's Galaxy series. Which should users choose? A smartphone or a phablet?
Sony Corp's President and Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai presents a new Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone during it's world premier at the IFA consumer electronics fair in Berlin, September 4, 2013.
Smartphone and phablet devices these days come down to their sizes. However, it does not mean that a bigger phone means better performance. For the comparison of Note 3 and Xperia Z1, their sizes are relevant. Xperia Z1 measures 5.69 x 2.91 x 0.33 inches which is extremely similar to Note 3 with 5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 inches.
While the Xperia Z1 sounds big, the Note 3 is still bigger. In this regard, the Xperia device is more comfortable to hold because of the smaller bit. As for build quality and appearance, Sony's Xpeira Z1 is slightly ahead of Note 3. Z1 features a metal and glass. This offers an exquisite and durable feeling. Note 2, on other hand, features a more run-of-the-mill look. It has a leather casing and plastic body design. It should be good for many users but it does not look as striking as the build of the Z1.
The Z1 and Note 3 are tied in terms of button accessibility.
Technically, the high quality LCD display of Z1 will ideally be considered better compared to the AMOLED-based screen of the Note 3. The LCD screen should be brighter and natural-looking. However, this is not the case for this comparison. Samsung has taken great measures to improve its Super AMOLED display. The company has taken out the troublesome outdoor visibility providing better viewing experience. The Note 3's panel is as bright and clear as the Z1's.
People may have to get used to a washed out view with the Z1's TFT panel despite the "Triluminos" additions. Nonetheless, the Z1 can still provide more realistic quality of images compared to the Note 3. Z1 sports a 3.96 Dela E (grayscale) with 7000k color temperature. Galaxy Note 3's images and videos appear greenish or bluish with 8100k color temperature and 6.34 Delta E (grayscale).
People have varying preferences, it is best to test out both devices first before making the choice.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon