Manny Pacquiao’s Charity Challenge is a New Way of Begging for the Fight, Says Mayweather
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 28, 2014 2:06 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather has remained quiet and has not bothered to comment after Manny Pacquiao challenged him to fight for charity. It could only mean one thing, like what Floyd has been saying in his recent interviews, he is really not interested to fight the Filipino boxer.
Floyd was on tour in South Africa when Pacquiao offered his charity challenge. A lot of people have expected a hasty and insolent response from Mayweather, but he just kept his mouth shut on Pacquiao's charity challenge.
Floyd's uncle, Jeff Mayweather, thinks that Pacquiao's charity challenge is nothing more than another way of pleading for the fight with the world's best pound-for-pound fighter. "All that was a new way of begging for the fight," said Jeff. He said that no fighter wants to engage in a boxing bout for free. Jeff went on and revealed why the super fight between Floyd and Manny has not taken place. Just like what Floyd has been telling in his interviews, Jeff explained that his nephew first offered Manny a fight, but the Filipino boxer wasn't willing to submit to a drug test. Then, Floyd offered Manny the fight for the second time, but the Filipino boxer turned down the offer and asked for a 50-50 purse split. "Now you're in a situation in which you need Floyd," said Jeff. "Floyd doesn't need you, what does he need you for," he added. "It happened twice," he continued pertaining about the two instances when Floyd offered Manny the fight. "The fight should have taken place already," he said.
Jeff also said that that Floyd will never do business with Bob Arum because he doesn't want another promoter calling the shots and getting shares of the profit. "That's the business side of things," he said.
Manny has already announced that he would be facing Timothy Bradley on his upcoming April 12 fight. Floyd, on the other hand, has not revealed the fighter he would fight next on May 3. Britain's Amir Khan still remains as the top contender for Floyd as there seems to be no other better option available.
Positively, the innumerable disputes surrounding the much-anticipated bout between Floyd and Manny will be worked out, following the outcomes of their next fights. If Pacquiao wins over Bradley and if Floyd wins over his next opponent, then they should probably get a fight between them finalised. Both Floyd and Manny seem to be running out of opponents.
Forget about the charity fight, people know that Floyd will never fight if there is no money involved. He's one of the world's highest-paid athletes. He even bets six to seven figures in different sporting events. He's one guy who loves to splurge on luxury things. Manny's dare to fight Floyd for charity may be a senseless idea altogether. Furthermore, since Floyd doesn't want to fight Manny because he is still with Arum, people will just have to wait until Manny finishes his contract with his promoter at the end of 2014 and then people could probably start talking about making their super fight happen again. Floyd and Manny would be past their primes then, so do you think people would still be interested in seeing them clash in the boxing ring?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members