Manny Pacquiao’s Charity Challenge is a New Way of Begging for the Fight, Says Mayweather
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 28, 2014 2:06 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather has remained quiet and has not bothered to comment after Manny Pacquiao challenged him to fight for charity. It could only mean one thing, like what Floyd has been saying in his recent interviews, he is really not interested to fight the Filipino boxer.
Floyd was on tour in South Africa when Pacquiao offered his charity challenge. A lot of people have expected a hasty and insolent response from Mayweather, but he just kept his mouth shut on Pacquiao's charity challenge.
Floyd's uncle, Jeff Mayweather, thinks that Pacquiao's charity challenge is nothing more than another way of pleading for the fight with the world's best pound-for-pound fighter. "All that was a new way of begging for the fight," said Jeff. He said that no fighter wants to engage in a boxing bout for free. Jeff went on and revealed why the super fight between Floyd and Manny has not taken place. Just like what Floyd has been telling in his interviews, Jeff explained that his nephew first offered Manny a fight, but the Filipino boxer wasn't willing to submit to a drug test. Then, Floyd offered Manny the fight for the second time, but the Filipino boxer turned down the offer and asked for a 50-50 purse split. "Now you're in a situation in which you need Floyd," said Jeff. "Floyd doesn't need you, what does he need you for," he added. "It happened twice," he continued pertaining about the two instances when Floyd offered Manny the fight. "The fight should have taken place already," he said.
Jeff also said that that Floyd will never do business with Bob Arum because he doesn't want another promoter calling the shots and getting shares of the profit. "That's the business side of things," he said.
Manny has already announced that he would be facing Timothy Bradley on his upcoming April 12 fight. Floyd, on the other hand, has not revealed the fighter he would fight next on May 3. Britain's Amir Khan still remains as the top contender for Floyd as there seems to be no other better option available.
Positively, the innumerable disputes surrounding the much-anticipated bout between Floyd and Manny will be worked out, following the outcomes of their next fights. If Pacquiao wins over Bradley and if Floyd wins over his next opponent, then they should probably get a fight between them finalised. Both Floyd and Manny seem to be running out of opponents.
Forget about the charity fight, people know that Floyd will never fight if there is no money involved. He's one of the world's highest-paid athletes. He even bets six to seven figures in different sporting events. He's one guy who loves to splurge on luxury things. Manny's dare to fight Floyd for charity may be a senseless idea altogether. Furthermore, since Floyd doesn't want to fight Manny because he is still with Arum, people will just have to wait until Manny finishes his contract with his promoter at the end of 2014 and then people could probably start talking about making their super fight happen again. Floyd and Manny would be past their primes then, so do you think people would still be interested in seeing them clash in the boxing ring?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet