Russia Bars Australian Beef Imports Over Unsafe Growth Stimulant
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 28, 2014 1:45 PM EST
Sergei Dankvert, Russia's agriculture watchdog Rosselkhoznadzor chief, said on Monday that the growth stimulant trenbolone steroid was found to have been put in larger quantities in the Australian beef byproducts.
Trenbolone was traced "in several shipments" of Australian beef byproducts, Mr Dankvert said.
Australia sent 13,000 tonnes of beef by-products in the first 10 months of 2013 to ex-Soviet countries, mostly to Russia, worth US$21.3 million, according to the Interfax news agency.
Offal is a collective term for the waste materials which remain after the carcass of an animal has been butchered and dressed. Most often in some regions certain parts of offal are treated as a delicacy.
Russia frequently institutes bans on meat products over the use of hormones. Although allowed in other countries such as the United States, Moscow has more stringent regulations.
Australia's Red Meat Advisory Council said the Federal Government is now closely coordinating with Russia to clarify the latter's import requirements pertaining to the shipments that contained the growth stimulant trenbolone steroid.
Some well-known examples of offal include the animal's brain, liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, stomach, thymus, tripe, tongue, and intestines. In many parts of the world, the intestines are scraped and used as a casing for sausage. The brain is a popular ingredient in many cultures. The liver is also a popular piece of offal, appearing in pate and a wide assortment of other dishes around the world.
The liver offal tastes extremely rich, dense, and creamy. Brain has a lighter, more crumbly texture, sometimes almost flaky. Kidneys are popular in British cuisine, while "lights," or lungs, are used in an assortment of dishes as well.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS