'Watch Dogs' Coming Out Fiscal 1st Quarter 2014, Reason for Delay Revealed, Wii U Version Still Coming
By Gel Galang | January 28, 2014 1:40 PM EST
The delay for "Watch Dogs" has been received with mixed feelings by PS4 and Xbox One players. On the one hand, it was a pretty smart move, as it managed to avoid sales being eaten up by other games had it released in November. But then again, a number of gamers have also been keeping watch and anticipating the release even more with each rumoured release date.
"Our ambition from the start with Watch Dogs has been to deliver something that embodies what we wanted to see in the next-generation of gaming," said Ubisoft in its official announcement regarding the delay. "It is with this in mind that we've made the tough decision to delay the release until spring 2014," the game developer added.
*The PS Plus' February lineup has been confirmed: Know what free games to expect for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.
But Reuters reports that France's Ubisoft has also denied any rumours of earlier or later releases of the game. This may be a response to the recent rumour wherein the release date was supposedly pushed forward to March 2014.
"The group does not comment on market rumors," said a Ubisoft spokesperson to Reuters. "The game is still expected in the first quarter of fiscal 2014-15," the spokesperson added.
*Will the next step in the next-gen wars be about augmented reality controls? The PS4 may be headed there: Read here for more.
The Reason for Delay? Pachter on 'Watch Dogs'
Going back to the whole issue of "Watch Dogs'" delay, it seems that the delay seemed to be a last-minute decision not just to make it the game for the next-gen but to also avoid a "disaster" of a release.
In a report from Game Revolution, Michael Pachter, known analyst from Wedbush Securities, commented on the delay as a very wise move for Ubisoft.
"I admire them. Their stock got hammered. The management got criticized. And that franchise matters; it sounds really good. And if doesn't work, it's a big waste of time and waste of money," said Mr Pachter in a statement quoted by Game Revolution.
Hopefully, the half a year's worth of delay and finishing touches would heavily change the game from the supposed "disaster" to what can be touted as one of the best-selling games for the PS4 and Xbox One.
'Watch Dogs' for Wii U Still on
For those who almost flipped tables with the rumoured cancellation of "Watch Dogs" on Wii U, fear not, it has already been confirmed that the cancellation was just a system glitch.
According to the latest report from Kotaku, GameStop Italy and one of the site's sources have confirmed that "Watch Dogs" for Wii U will be available for pre-order again.
The previous report only included Italian branches of GameStop showing the glitch for "Watch Dogs" Wii U, as Kotaku has contacted stores in New York and Los Angeles only to find that the game in that version can still be pre-ordered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]