'Watch Dogs' Coming Out Fiscal 1st Quarter 2014, Reason for Delay Revealed, Wii U Version Still Coming
By Gel Galang | January 28, 2014 1:40 PM EST
The delay for "Watch Dogs" has been received with mixed feelings by PS4 and Xbox One players. On the one hand, it was a pretty smart move, as it managed to avoid sales being eaten up by other games had it released in November. But then again, a number of gamers have also been keeping watch and anticipating the release even more with each rumoured release date.
"Our ambition from the start with Watch Dogs has been to deliver something that embodies what we wanted to see in the next-generation of gaming," said Ubisoft in its official announcement regarding the delay. "It is with this in mind that we've made the tough decision to delay the release until spring 2014," the game developer added.
*The PS Plus' February lineup has been confirmed: Know what free games to expect for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.
But Reuters reports that France's Ubisoft has also denied any rumours of earlier or later releases of the game. This may be a response to the recent rumour wherein the release date was supposedly pushed forward to March 2014.
"The group does not comment on market rumors," said a Ubisoft spokesperson to Reuters. "The game is still expected in the first quarter of fiscal 2014-15," the spokesperson added.
*Will the next step in the next-gen wars be about augmented reality controls? The PS4 may be headed there: Read here for more.
The Reason for Delay? Pachter on 'Watch Dogs'
Going back to the whole issue of "Watch Dogs'" delay, it seems that the delay seemed to be a last-minute decision not just to make it the game for the next-gen but to also avoid a "disaster" of a release.
In a report from Game Revolution, Michael Pachter, known analyst from Wedbush Securities, commented on the delay as a very wise move for Ubisoft.
"I admire them. Their stock got hammered. The management got criticized. And that franchise matters; it sounds really good. And if doesn't work, it's a big waste of time and waste of money," said Mr Pachter in a statement quoted by Game Revolution.
Hopefully, the half a year's worth of delay and finishing touches would heavily change the game from the supposed "disaster" to what can be touted as one of the best-selling games for the PS4 and Xbox One.
'Watch Dogs' for Wii U Still on
For those who almost flipped tables with the rumoured cancellation of "Watch Dogs" on Wii U, fear not, it has already been confirmed that the cancellation was just a system glitch.
According to the latest report from Kotaku, GameStop Italy and one of the site's sources have confirmed that "Watch Dogs" for Wii U will be available for pre-order again.
The previous report only included Italian branches of GameStop showing the glitch for "Watch Dogs" Wii U, as Kotaku has contacted stores in New York and Los Angeles only to find that the game in that version can still be pre-ordered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports