Court of Queen’s Bench Judge Finds 67-Year-Old Winnipeg Orthodox Archbishop Guilty of Sexual Assault of Canadian Boy in 1985
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 28, 2014 1:33 PM EST
Another high Canadian church official has fallen. Court of Queen's Bench Justice Christopher Mainella found 67-year-old Winnipeg Archbishop Seraphim Storheim guilty of sexual assault on a boy in 1985. But he was acquitted of a similar accusation filed by the boy's twin brother due to issues such as mental ailment and alcohol addiction which clouded the second complainant's memory and affected the quality of evidence he provided.
An Orthodox priest blesses Easter eggs after a religious service in Russia's far Eastern port of Vladivostok.
The victim was an altar boy in another parish, while Mr Storheim was parish priest at the Holy Trinity Sobor Orthodox Church on Manitoba Avenue. Mr Storheim befriended the twins' family which resulted in the brothers visiting him separately in the summer of 1985.
The complainants, now 40, recounted that the clergyman paraded around the house unclothed and asked them to touch his penis. Mr Storheim, in his defence, insisted he took a father-type role with the twins, but admitted discussing with the two - who were 11 then - puberty and body development. It included details on ejaculation and pubic hair which Mr Storheim said came up while holding their bible study when the two started asking questions.
He denied touching the twins or exposing himself to them, although he conceded it is possible that the boys could have seen him naked by accident, but he insisted it was never an intentional display.
Mr Storheim told the court, quoted by the Winnipeg Free Press, "I overstepped a sense of compassion ... I felt compassion for this particular family, so I paid more attention to this family trying to support and encourage them."
Mr Storheim, who holds the title of Archbishop of Ottawa and Canada for the Orthodox Church, was suspended from his position in 2011 when charges were filed against him and pending the result of the criminal charge and an internal church probe.
He is scheduled to be sentenced in June but is out on bail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members