How to Update Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8020) with Android 4.4.2 CM11 ROM
By Precious Silva | January 28, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 owners can now update to Android 4.4.2 using CM11 ROM. Prior to starting the update, it is important for users to stick to the model number. The upgrade only caters to Galaxy GT-N8020 model. Flashing the ROM to other devices may cause problems or lead to a bricked phone. Following the instructions provided will ensure successful installation.
A Samsung Galaxy Note II phone-cum-tablet is displayed during the first day of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas January 8, 2013.
Warning: Android 4.4.2 KitKat CM11 custom ROM requires manual installation which may damage the Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8020). We are not responsible for any damages or errors that may occur in the device. Read and follow the instructions carefully to avoid any damages. Do this at your own risk!
It is important for users to root their Galaxy Note 10.1 devices. Check and install a recovery utility feature. ClockworkMod is one of the most popular recovery tools, so it should do. Back up important information, settings and other data. Users must see to it that device has at least 80 per cent battery. At best, charge it fully to avoid problems with power interruptions.
Enable USB debugging. To do this, open Settings and choose Developer Options.
Instructions for updating Galaxy Note 10.1 to Android KitKat 4.4.2 with CM11 ROM are provided as follows:
2. Connect the Galaxy Note 10.1 device to the computer via USB cable.
3. Transfer the CM11 custom ROM and Google Apps package to the SD card of the device. Make sure to copy the files to the root folder. Do not extract yet.
4. Boot the device into Recovery Mode. To do this, press and hold Home, Power and Volume Up buttons together. Wait until the Galaxy Note 10.1 logo appears. Release the buttons to go into recovery mode.
5. Do a factory reset. Choose "Wipe data/Factory reset."
6. In the CWM recovery, open "Format system" under the Mounts and Storage submenu. Choose Yes. Go to Advance submenu and choose "Wipe Dalvik Cache." Choose Yes to confirm.
7. Go to "Install Zip from SD card." Choose the ROM transferred previously. Following installation of the ROM, do the same steps to install Google Apps.
8. Following completion of installation, choose "Go Back." Press on "Reboot system now" to restart the device. This may take a few minutes.
After restarting the device, the Galaxy Note 10.1 unit should be running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat CM11 ROM.
To contact the editor, e-mail: