NBA Trade Rumors: Kyle Lowry to Los Angeles Lakers or Brooklyn Nets?
By James Patrick Quizon | January 28, 2014 12:30 PM EST
Despite what is a great stretch of games by Kyle Lowry, the Toronto Raptors front office is apparently still not closed to the idea of trading away their starting point guard for fear of losing him for nothing when he hits free agency after this season.
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers at Toronto Raptors
Marc Stein of ESPN shared a tweet on Sunday night, implying that the Raptors, despite recent success lately and the fact that they are at third place in the Eastern Conference, are not done wheeling and dealing this season to shore up their roster more for the future rather than contend in 2014.
Trade rumble: Sense around league remains Toronto more likely to trade Kyle Lowry than keep him to prevent losing asset for nothing. But ...
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) January 27, 2014
Issue here hasn't changed: No team out there willing YET to meet Raps' asking price for PG who, nice as he's playin, can bolt in free agency — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) January 27, 2014
The fear of losing him for nothing translates to other front offices’ as well. Acquiring Lowry now means they’d be getting a “rental player” and would do the convincing when he becomes a free agent in the summer.
However, there are other teams who may be interested in Lowry’s services: the playoff contenders.
Two teams come to mind, the Brooklyn Nets, which are starting to turn it around this year; and the Los Angeles Lakers, albeit out of the playoff race for now but which status can change when Kobe Bryant returns.
Via the ESPN Trade Machine below are the trade possibilities which involve a Lowry deal with the Lakers and Nets:
Toronto Raptors-Los Angeles Lakers Trade
K. Lowry ($6.21M) + A. Johnson ($6.5M) + T. Hansbrough ($3.18M) for P. Gasol ($19M) + Future 1st Round Pick
Logic for the Raptors: They unload the longer contracts of Johnson and Hansbrough and get the 19 million expiring contract of Pau. The future first is a plus for their rebuilding process.
Logic for the Lakers: Kobe wants to compete year-in and year-out. With Lowry, they’ll get a legit guard who can share the scoring load with the Black Mamba. Johnson takes on Gasol’s role and may even be a better fit in head coach Mike D’ Antoni’s offense.
Toronto Raptors-Brooklyn Nets Trade
A. Johnson ($6.5M) + L. Fields ($6.25M) + K. Lowry ($6.21M) for B. Lopez ($14.6M) + J. Terry ($4.6M)
Logic for the Raptors: They do take the Jet’s contract (until 2014-2015), but Lopez is a nice building block alongside Jonas Valanciunas in the near future. They’ll tank this year without Lopez and Lowry in the line-up but could be the better idea with the deep 2014 NBA Draft.
Logic for the Nets: Two words: WIN NOW. Lowry will add depth to the Nets’ backcourt rotation and he can slide to SG too (similar to Terry’s role) alongside Deron Williams. Johnson might even start with KG and have even more frontcourt depth.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Arsenal FC: Zlatan Or Ronaldo? Wenger Reveals His Biggest 'Missed Signing' Regret
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional