Winners Macklemore and Ryan Lewis 'Almost Barred' from Grammy Awards, They ‘Robbed’ Kendrick Lamar?
By charmaine corne clutton | January 28, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Winning four out of seven of their nominations, newcomers in the rap industry Macklemore and Ryan Lewis definitely emerged successful after the awards night. The duo won Best Rap Song and Performance for their hit "Thrift Shop," also the second biggest seller of 2013 with a total of 6.5 million downloads. The duo bested other legends in the rap category such as Jay Z, Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar.
Hip hop artists Macklemore and Lewis pose backstage with their awards for Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance for "Thrift Shop", Best Rap Song for "Thrift Shop" and Best Rap Album for "The Heist" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles
Everything weren't as rosy, however, for the two. According to a source, the duo was almost banned from the rap category in the Grammy's because of their appeal as pop sensation as opposed to more established rappers such as Lamar and Jay Z. The National Academy for Recording Arts and Sciences claimed that the mainstream success of the duo indicated that it qualified to be in the pop genre. Their best selling single "Thrift Shop" garnered 7.3 million downloads last year while their "Cant Hold Us" track amassed a total of 5 million downloads.
If it weren't for a reversal of voting by the Academy, the duo would have been barred from entering the awards night.
Meanwhile, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis performed what some would call the most 'emotional point' of the night-their rendition of "Same Love"-a song about attitudes towards homosexuality. During the performance, Queen Latifah went out and officiated the union of 33 straight and same-sex couples for marriage.
In a separate text, the rap winners of the 56th Grammy Awards expressed their disbelief in a text to fellow rapper Kendrick Lamar. Macklemore said "You (Lamar) got robbed. I wanted you to win. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you." The Grammy winner then proceeded to thank Lamar for the friendship and for being his musical inspiration.
However, the two were deprived of their final (and biggest) award (Best Album of the Year) after Daft Punk emerged victorious for their Random Access Memories album. Pharrell Williams also bagged the Producer of the Year for the said album. The Frenchmen also won for the "Record of the Year" for their upbeat song "Get Lucky".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features