Winners Macklemore and Ryan Lewis 'Almost Barred' from Grammy Awards, They ‘Robbed’ Kendrick Lamar?
By charmaine corne clutton | January 28, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Winning four out of seven of their nominations, newcomers in the rap industry Macklemore and Ryan Lewis definitely emerged successful after the awards night. The duo won Best Rap Song and Performance for their hit "Thrift Shop," also the second biggest seller of 2013 with a total of 6.5 million downloads. The duo bested other legends in the rap category such as Jay Z, Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar.
Hip hop artists Macklemore and Lewis pose backstage with their awards for Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance for "Thrift Shop", Best Rap Song for "Thrift Shop" and Best Rap Album for "The Heist" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles
Everything weren't as rosy, however, for the two. According to a source, the duo was almost banned from the rap category in the Grammy's because of their appeal as pop sensation as opposed to more established rappers such as Lamar and Jay Z. The National Academy for Recording Arts and Sciences claimed that the mainstream success of the duo indicated that it qualified to be in the pop genre. Their best selling single "Thrift Shop" garnered 7.3 million downloads last year while their "Cant Hold Us" track amassed a total of 5 million downloads.
If it weren't for a reversal of voting by the Academy, the duo would have been barred from entering the awards night.
Meanwhile, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis performed what some would call the most 'emotional point' of the night-their rendition of "Same Love"-a song about attitudes towards homosexuality. During the performance, Queen Latifah went out and officiated the union of 33 straight and same-sex couples for marriage.
In a separate text, the rap winners of the 56th Grammy Awards expressed their disbelief in a text to fellow rapper Kendrick Lamar. Macklemore said "You (Lamar) got robbed. I wanted you to win. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you." The Grammy winner then proceeded to thank Lamar for the friendship and for being his musical inspiration.
However, the two were deprived of their final (and biggest) award (Best Album of the Year) after Daft Punk emerged victorious for their Random Access Memories album. Pharrell Williams also bagged the Producer of the Year for the said album. The Frenchmen also won for the "Record of the Year" for their upbeat song "Get Lucky".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans