Multi-Millionaire Susan Boyle Applies For Low-Paying Job At Local Betting Shop
By Anne Lu | January 28, 2014 10:07 AM EST
She’s already a multi-millionaire, but Susan Boyle still prefers a low-paying job in her local community. The most famous “Britain’s Got Talent” contestant reportedly enquired about a vacancy in a betting shop that only paid £6.31 [AUD 12] per hour.
The 52-year-old singer, who rose to stardom when her audition in the UK talent show went viral online, is said to be worth around AUD38 million. She clearly does not need to apply for a job anymore, much less one that only pays AUD190 per week.
But apparently, that’s what she was planning to do.
According to The Sun, it appeared that Susan saw the job post for customer service assistant in the Ladbrokes window shop, and decided to find out more about the position.
“Susan Boyle walked into the shop and inquired about the job advertised in our window. We were all in shock,” deputy shop manager David Corr told the UK tabloid.
A customer also saw the Scottish international superstar in the Blackburn, West Lothian shop on Thursday afternoon.
“She explained she was really keen on working there and everyone knows who she is and that she lives nearby. The manager laughed at first. But it was clear she was being serious and they couldn’t just dismiss her so gave her all the information,” the customer added.
The local said that Susan sometimes appear lonely when she’s around the town so perhaps she was just looking for something to do.
“Obviously she doesn’t need the money, so I think she saw it as a way of getting out of the house and taking her mind off things.”
The job requires the successful applicant to work for 16 hours per week for a minimum of AUD 12 an hour. But with Susan’s considerable wealth, it’s unlikely that she was after the pay anyway.
The booker’s office is near Edinburgh and is just a short walk from her house.
According to the report, it wasn’t the first time Susan has applied for a job at the shop. She also tried her luck before she became famous in 2009. Her current fame isn’t deterrent to the chance of her getting hired, though.
“Every applicant is judged on their merits. She’s applied before and it’s great for us that she’s still dreaming the dream,” a spokesperson for the shop told the paper, as quoted by the Express.
Susan captured worldwide attention when she auditioned on “Britain’s Got Talent” in April 2009. She surprised judges Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden, and Piers Morgan, who all admitted they didn’t expect such talent from the church volunteer. Her audition video, in which she sang “I Dreamed a Dream,” became viral within days, gathering over 2.5 million in just three days, and had become YouTube’s Most Memorable Video of the year.
She finished second place in the show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares