Multi-Millionaire Susan Boyle Applies For Low-Paying Job At Local Betting Shop
By Anne Lu | January 28, 2014 10:07 AM EST
She’s already a multi-millionaire, but Susan Boyle still prefers a low-paying job in her local community. The most famous “Britain’s Got Talent” contestant reportedly enquired about a vacancy in a betting shop that only paid £6.31 [AUD 12] per hour.
The 52-year-old singer, who rose to stardom when her audition in the UK talent show went viral online, is said to be worth around AUD38 million. She clearly does not need to apply for a job anymore, much less one that only pays AUD190 per week.
But apparently, that’s what she was planning to do.
According to The Sun, it appeared that Susan saw the job post for customer service assistant in the Ladbrokes window shop, and decided to find out more about the position.
“Susan Boyle walked into the shop and inquired about the job advertised in our window. We were all in shock,” deputy shop manager David Corr told the UK tabloid.
A customer also saw the Scottish international superstar in the Blackburn, West Lothian shop on Thursday afternoon.
“She explained she was really keen on working there and everyone knows who she is and that she lives nearby. The manager laughed at first. But it was clear she was being serious and they couldn’t just dismiss her so gave her all the information,” the customer added.
The local said that Susan sometimes appear lonely when she’s around the town so perhaps she was just looking for something to do.
“Obviously she doesn’t need the money, so I think she saw it as a way of getting out of the house and taking her mind off things.”
The job requires the successful applicant to work for 16 hours per week for a minimum of AUD 12 an hour. But with Susan’s considerable wealth, it’s unlikely that she was after the pay anyway.
The booker’s office is near Edinburgh and is just a short walk from her house.
According to the report, it wasn’t the first time Susan has applied for a job at the shop. She also tried her luck before she became famous in 2009. Her current fame isn’t deterrent to the chance of her getting hired, though.
“Every applicant is judged on their merits. She’s applied before and it’s great for us that she’s still dreaming the dream,” a spokesperson for the shop told the paper, as quoted by the Express.
Susan captured worldwide attention when she auditioned on “Britain’s Got Talent” in April 2009. She surprised judges Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden, and Piers Morgan, who all admitted they didn’t expect such talent from the church volunteer. Her audition video, in which she sang “I Dreamed a Dream,” became viral within days, gathering over 2.5 million in just three days, and had become YouTube’s Most Memorable Video of the year.
She finished second place in the show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Winner: Eliminated Contestants Predict Who Could Win It All
- Prince Harry Enjoys Three-Day Visit To Oman, Picks Up Present For Prince George And Performs With Traditional Sword Dancers
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices