Crocodile Feared To Have Taken 12-Year-Old Boy In Australian Outback
By Anne Lu | January 28, 2014 6:55 AM EST
A missing 12-year-old boy is feared to be taken by a crocodile in Australia after he and his friends swam in a watering hole in the outback on Sunday. Rescue teams have cut open the stomachs of two crocodiles as they search for the missing unnamed boy.
The crocodiles that were killed were found near where the boy disappeared, and both had nothing in their stomachs that would lead the rescuers to the boy.
“One was 4.3 metres and one was 4.7 metres. Both of those crocodiles were shot and removed from the area,” police sergeant Stephen Constable told reporters of the horrific incident at the Mudginberri Billabong in the World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park.
“Neither of them had anything in their stomachs, and we’re going to continue the search today,” he continued, adding that they have a helicopter flying to help them with the search, and would deploy three boats and two airboats in the water.
The boy’s friend, also 12, was bitten on both his arms by the crocodile while they were swimming. It is believed that the crocodile attacked the friend first, before turning on the missing boy.
The injured boy has received medical treatment for his wounds, which are being examined by experts to determine the size of the crocodile that has attacked them.
The Kakadu National Park is located in the Northern Territory, where crocodile population is the densest.
In August, a 26-year-old man was killed by a crocodile when he swam the Mary River, southeast of Darwin. According to thespec.com, the attack led indigenous elders to call for a cull of the reptiles, believing that the growing population of crocodiles in the area must be urgently addressed as it has becoming far too dangerous for the people already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More