Celtics Trade Rumors: Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green Trades Loom, As Boston Celtics Look To Acquire Young Talents
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 27, 2014 11:53 PM EST
Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green could be traded either before the midseason trade deadline or during draft night despite the firm stance of Boston Celtics front office not to give away their two best players.
Rajon Rondo Celtics
Green averages a team high 16.2 points and 5.0 rebounds per game for the Celtics. But a veteran NBA and Chicago Bulls writer believed the former Georgetown Hoyas standout will be eventually moved to satisfy the Celtics' need for multiple future draft picks.
"It sounds more and more like with Rajon Rondo's return and a ceremonial bestowing of captaincy the Celtics plan to keep Rondo and try to get him to extend. It makes sense given the importance of point guards. More executives think the Celtics want to trade Jeff Green," Sam Smith said in his article.
Smith predicted the Celtics could make a deal with the Houston Rockets, which adds more depth in their lineup. The veteran analyst said the Celtics could swap Green and Gerald Wallace for disgruntled center Omer Asik before the Feb. 20 trade deadline.
"They're probably trying to persuade someone to take Gerald Wallace along with Green, though many figure they'll eventually move Green. A nice exchange could be for Omer Asik, giving the Celtics a point guard/defensive center core to move forward with along with Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk. And Houston could use Green as a stretch four scorer," the analyst added.
With $18.4 million left on Green's contract, CBS Sports Insider Matt Moore agreed to Smith's proposition of giving away Green and his fat contract in an attempt to get them in position to sign max free-agent this season.
"Moving Green makes more sense. He's got over $18.4 million left on his contract and has never been the star that the Celtics hoped he would grow to be. They can get good return on him, though, and the Asik deal isn't bad. I'm not sure what Asik gives the Celtics that they need besides a rim protector who isn't horrible, but its' an idea," Moore said.
Rondo's Days In Boston Are Numbered
Whether the Celtics will stay put with Rondo past the trade deadline, NBA insiders really believed the playmaker's days in Beantown are numbered. General Manager Danny Ainge may use the remainder of the season as the timeframe to evaluate Rondo's performance off a major surgery.
Rondo averages just 5 points and 5 dimes per game in his first few games coming off a year-long rehab due to a torn ACL injury. These numbers were pale in comparison to his stats in the previous season, but these will nevertheless increase as soon as he gets back to his old form.
As for Ainge, he has the reputation of pulling off timely trades. In 2007, the Celtics GM came up with the biggest coup of his career as the Celtics executive by bringing Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett to join forces with Paul Pierce. That core group won them a championship that year, and it's job to put the Celtics back in contention as quick as possible.
"Ainge has a reputation of having a good time in pulling off big trades. And like what happened in 2007, the Celtics GM could hammer a deal at Draft night, where franchise-changing talents like Andrew Wiggins, Jabbari Parker, Dante Exum and Joel Embid are up for grabs. Chances are the Celtics could get a high pick and another one via trade to get a super-rookie combo. Ainge can come up with really good surprises, and the draft is a good place to do it."
For more Celtics trade rumors, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers