Brooklyn Beat Boston in Night of Tribute to Ex-Celtics Garnett and Pierce [VIDEOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | January 27, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The Boston Celtics traded away Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in the offseason, marking the end of an era of both stars with the team.
NBA: Brooklyn Nets at Oklahoma City Thunder
It wasn’t necessarily the best of endings after what was a fruitful and colourful partnership over the last few years as both—and Celtics fans-- felt slighted with the deal as the pair delivered the franchise an NBA championship in 2008, an NBA Finals appearance in 2009 and a slew of memorable playoff runs.
The franchise tried to make up for it with a video tribute to the pair when their new team, the Brooklyn Nets visited Boston on Sunday night.
Paul Pierce Tribute:
Kevin Garnett Tribute:
The "Big Three" era started in 2007 when Garnett and Ray Allen joined the C's via a pair of trades to team up with long-time Celtic, Paul Pierce. The trio won the NBA championship in the 2007-2008 season.
Garnett's best year in Boston came in 2007-2008 when he averaged 18.8 points, 9.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.3 steals and 1.4 blocked shots. His tenacity and intensity on both ends of the floor was one of the main factors why the Celtics went all the way to the title that year.
Pierce averages 21.5 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 3.9 APG and 1.4 SPG in a 16-year career in the NBA-- 15 of which were with Boston.
On KG and The Truth’s return to Boston, their Nets beat their former team in a low-scoring affair, 85-to-79. Both finished with just six points each and missed a combined 11 shots of 16 attempts from the field.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon