Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Manchester City Plot Move for Gunners Veteran as Wenger Eyes Bundesliga Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 27, 2014 8:41 PM EST
Manchester City are reportedly considering an approach for Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna.
The France international will be out of contract at the end of this season and is now free to sign a pre-contract agreement with other clubs. The Gunners have been locked in discussions with Sagna over a new deal for quite some time but are yet to reach an agreement.
Sagna, who turns 31 next month, has been one of Arsenal's top performers this season, as the north London outfit continues to stay atop the Premier League table. However, according to reports, Arsenal have offered him only a two-year extension on his current package of around £60,000-a-week, as Arsene Wenger sticks to his policy of not offering long-term contracts to players over the age of 30.
Both the Daily Star and the Metro claim Sagna is unhappy with the offer, especially as AS Monaco are ready to double his current wages, give him a three-year contract and a signing on fee of £10m spread over three years, while Galatasaray are also prepared to offer a similar deal. PSG and Fenerbahce are also understood to be interested in the right-back.
And according to the reports, given the current situation, City are contemplating flexing their financial muscle and snapping up Sagna, as they can offer the player a better package than Arsenal and a chance to stay in the Premier League.
The Citizens do have the impressive Pablo Zabaleta for the right-back role but, given their emphasis on squad depth, they could be keen on adding another player, who could provide competition and cover for the Argentine.
If Sagna joins City, he would be the fifth player to move from the Emirates to the Etihad in recent years, following in the footsteps of fellow France internationals Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy, as well as Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure.
Sagna, who joined Arsenal from Auxerre back in 2007, has made over 260 appearances for the Londoners in all competitions so far.
Meanwhile, rumours linking Sagna with a move away from Arsenal have gained momentum of late, after reports linking the Gunners with Eintracht Frankfurt right-back Sebastian Jung surfaced.
Jung, 23, has been a regular for Frankfurt ever since he broke into their first team in 2010. The player is valued at around £7m and, according to Goal.com, an Arsenal delegation will meet Frankfurt officials this week to discuss the transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales