Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Manchester City Plot Move for Gunners Veteran as Wenger Eyes Bundesliga Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 27, 2014 8:41 PM EST
Manchester City are reportedly considering an approach for Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna.
The France international will be out of contract at the end of this season and is now free to sign a pre-contract agreement with other clubs. The Gunners have been locked in discussions with Sagna over a new deal for quite some time but are yet to reach an agreement.
Sagna, who turns 31 next month, has been one of Arsenal's top performers this season, as the north London outfit continues to stay atop the Premier League table. However, according to reports, Arsenal have offered him only a two-year extension on his current package of around £60,000-a-week, as Arsene Wenger sticks to his policy of not offering long-term contracts to players over the age of 30.
Both the Daily Star and the Metro claim Sagna is unhappy with the offer, especially as AS Monaco are ready to double his current wages, give him a three-year contract and a signing on fee of £10m spread over three years, while Galatasaray are also prepared to offer a similar deal. PSG and Fenerbahce are also understood to be interested in the right-back.
And according to the reports, given the current situation, City are contemplating flexing their financial muscle and snapping up Sagna, as they can offer the player a better package than Arsenal and a chance to stay in the Premier League.
The Citizens do have the impressive Pablo Zabaleta for the right-back role but, given their emphasis on squad depth, they could be keen on adding another player, who could provide competition and cover for the Argentine.
If Sagna joins City, he would be the fifth player to move from the Emirates to the Etihad in recent years, following in the footsteps of fellow France internationals Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy, as well as Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure.
Sagna, who joined Arsenal from Auxerre back in 2007, has made over 260 appearances for the Londoners in all competitions so far.
Meanwhile, rumours linking Sagna with a move away from Arsenal have gained momentum of late, after reports linking the Gunners with Eintracht Frankfurt right-back Sebastian Jung surfaced.
Jung, 23, has been a regular for Frankfurt ever since he broke into their first team in 2010. The player is valued at around £7m and, according to Goal.com, an Arsenal delegation will meet Frankfurt officials this week to discuss the transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones