Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Manchester City Plot Move for Gunners Veteran as Wenger Eyes Bundesliga Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 27, 2014 8:41 PM EST
Manchester City are reportedly considering an approach for Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna.
The France international will be out of contract at the end of this season and is now free to sign a pre-contract agreement with other clubs. The Gunners have been locked in discussions with Sagna over a new deal for quite some time but are yet to reach an agreement.
Sagna, who turns 31 next month, has been one of Arsenal's top performers this season, as the north London outfit continues to stay atop the Premier League table. However, according to reports, Arsenal have offered him only a two-year extension on his current package of around £60,000-a-week, as Arsene Wenger sticks to his policy of not offering long-term contracts to players over the age of 30.
Both the Daily Star and the Metro claim Sagna is unhappy with the offer, especially as AS Monaco are ready to double his current wages, give him a three-year contract and a signing on fee of £10m spread over three years, while Galatasaray are also prepared to offer a similar deal. PSG and Fenerbahce are also understood to be interested in the right-back.
And according to the reports, given the current situation, City are contemplating flexing their financial muscle and snapping up Sagna, as they can offer the player a better package than Arsenal and a chance to stay in the Premier League.
The Citizens do have the impressive Pablo Zabaleta for the right-back role but, given their emphasis on squad depth, they could be keen on adding another player, who could provide competition and cover for the Argentine.
If Sagna joins City, he would be the fifth player to move from the Emirates to the Etihad in recent years, following in the footsteps of fellow France internationals Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy, as well as Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure.
Sagna, who joined Arsenal from Auxerre back in 2007, has made over 260 appearances for the Londoners in all competitions so far.
Meanwhile, rumours linking Sagna with a move away from Arsenal have gained momentum of late, after reports linking the Gunners with Eintracht Frankfurt right-back Sebastian Jung surfaced.
Jung, 23, has been a regular for Frankfurt ever since he broke into their first team in 2010. The player is valued at around £7m and, according to Goal.com, an Arsenal delegation will meet Frankfurt officials this week to discuss the transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report