Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Manchester City Plot Move for Gunners Veteran as Wenger Eyes Bundesliga Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 27, 2014 8:41 PM EST
Manchester City are reportedly considering an approach for Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna.
The France international will be out of contract at the end of this season and is now free to sign a pre-contract agreement with other clubs. The Gunners have been locked in discussions with Sagna over a new deal for quite some time but are yet to reach an agreement.
Sagna, who turns 31 next month, has been one of Arsenal's top performers this season, as the north London outfit continues to stay atop the Premier League table. However, according to reports, Arsenal have offered him only a two-year extension on his current package of around £60,000-a-week, as Arsene Wenger sticks to his policy of not offering long-term contracts to players over the age of 30.
Both the Daily Star and the Metro claim Sagna is unhappy with the offer, especially as AS Monaco are ready to double his current wages, give him a three-year contract and a signing on fee of £10m spread over three years, while Galatasaray are also prepared to offer a similar deal. PSG and Fenerbahce are also understood to be interested in the right-back.
And according to the reports, given the current situation, City are contemplating flexing their financial muscle and snapping up Sagna, as they can offer the player a better package than Arsenal and a chance to stay in the Premier League.
The Citizens do have the impressive Pablo Zabaleta for the right-back role but, given their emphasis on squad depth, they could be keen on adding another player, who could provide competition and cover for the Argentine.
If Sagna joins City, he would be the fifth player to move from the Emirates to the Etihad in recent years, following in the footsteps of fellow France internationals Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy, as well as Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure.
Sagna, who joined Arsenal from Auxerre back in 2007, has made over 260 appearances for the Londoners in all competitions so far.
Meanwhile, rumours linking Sagna with a move away from Arsenal have gained momentum of late, after reports linking the Gunners with Eintracht Frankfurt right-back Sebastian Jung surfaced.
Jung, 23, has been a regular for Frankfurt ever since he broke into their first team in 2010. The player is valued at around £7m and, according to Goal.com, an Arsenal delegation will meet Frankfurt officials this week to discuss the transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports