Maryland Mall Shooting: Mom Says Shooter Was Gentle Person
By Keerthi Mohan | January 27, 2014 7:58 PM EST
U.S. police officials are yet to find a motive behind the shooting in a mall in Columbia, Maryland, that claimed three lives, including that of the shooter, Darion Marcus Aguilar.
Recent investigations showed that Aguilar, 19, was generally unhappy in the days leading to the shooting, a journal maintained by the shooter revealed. In the journal, Aguilar "does express some general unhappiness with his life, but I really don't have any other information about that now," Howard County Police Chief Bill McMahon told reporters Sunday, CNN reported.
Darion Marcus Aguilar, 19, of College Park, Maryland, identified by police as the gunman in Saturday's Columbia Mall shooting, is seen in an undated photo released by the Howard County Police Department in Maryland on January 26, 2014.
A woman identified as his mother told reporters on Sunday that she too is unaware why her son went on a shooting rampage on Saturday.
"I don't know what happened. I really don't," the woman said, according to ABC News. "You can talk to any of his friends and see what a gentle person he is. He never had a gun before, never interested in guns. I don't know what happened. I just don't know what happened."
According to reports, the 19-year-old bought the 12-gauge shotgun in December. Briefing reporters, police officials said on Sunday that Aguilar entered the the mall in Columbia around 10:15 a.m. on Saturday morning, and he reached the Zumiez store, a skateboarding shop, at around 11:15 a.m.
Shortly, he started firing, killing Brianna Benlolo, 21, of College Park, Md., and Tyler Johnson, 25, of Ellicott City, Md., both employees of the shop. Five others were injured.
Aguilar had graduated from high school last year and was working at a Dunkin’ Donuts store. He had no criminal record, and police officials have not been able to find a relationship between him and his victims.
The mall has been shut down since the shooting, and it will reopen only on Monday at 1 p.m. local time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date