Maryland Mall Shooting: Mom Says Shooter Was Gentle Person
By Keerthi Mohan | January 27, 2014 7:58 PM EST
U.S. police officials are yet to find a motive behind the shooting in a mall in Columbia, Maryland, that claimed three lives, including that of the shooter, Darion Marcus Aguilar.
Recent investigations showed that Aguilar, 19, was generally unhappy in the days leading to the shooting, a journal maintained by the shooter revealed. In the journal, Aguilar "does express some general unhappiness with his life, but I really don't have any other information about that now," Howard County Police Chief Bill McMahon told reporters Sunday, CNN reported.
Darion Marcus Aguilar, 19, of College Park, Maryland, identified by police as the gunman in Saturday's Columbia Mall shooting, is seen in an undated photo released by the Howard County Police Department in Maryland on January 26, 2014.
A woman identified as his mother told reporters on Sunday that she too is unaware why her son went on a shooting rampage on Saturday.
"I don't know what happened. I really don't," the woman said, according to ABC News. "You can talk to any of his friends and see what a gentle person he is. He never had a gun before, never interested in guns. I don't know what happened. I just don't know what happened."
According to reports, the 19-year-old bought the 12-gauge shotgun in December. Briefing reporters, police officials said on Sunday that Aguilar entered the the mall in Columbia around 10:15 a.m. on Saturday morning, and he reached the Zumiez store, a skateboarding shop, at around 11:15 a.m.
Shortly, he started firing, killing Brianna Benlolo, 21, of College Park, Md., and Tyler Johnson, 25, of Ellicott City, Md., both employees of the shop. Five others were injured.
Aguilar had graduated from high school last year and was working at a Dunkin’ Donuts store. He had no criminal record, and police officials have not been able to find a relationship between him and his victims.
The mall has been shut down since the shooting, and it will reopen only on Monday at 1 p.m. local time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales