Andaman Boat Mishap: 21 Killed as Overcrowded Ferry Capsizes; PM, Jaya Express Grief
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 27, 2014 4:06 PM EST
As many as 21 people were killed when a tourist boat capsized and sank off Viper Island near Port Blair in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands on Sunday.
The boat was overcrowded with more than 45 passengers, most of whom were tourists. The boat, "Aqua Marine", sank while on its way from Ross Island to the North Bay around 4 pm, P Johar, deputy commissioner of South Andaman district, told Press Trust of India.
At least 28 people were pulled out of the waters. The survivors were admitted to G B Pant Hospital in Port Blair.
According to officials, the boat could carry only 25 passengers at a time, but it was overcrowded with more than 45 people, including three crew members. Only a few life jackets were on board.
Police have arrested the three crew members and the South Andaman additional district magistrate will carry out an inquiry into the incident.
Among the occupants of the boat, 33 hailed from Kanchipuram district in Tamil Nadu. Thirteen victims who died in the accident were from Kancheepuram, while three were from Chennai, reported The Times of India.
The Tamil Nadu government on Sunday deputed two senior officers to coordinate with the victims of the boat tragedy. Chief Minister Jayalalithaa expressed grief over the incident and announced a compensation of ₹1 lakh to the relatives of each of the victims.
The bodies of the victims who died in the incident will be shifted to Chennai in the afternoon.
"Under these circumstances, I have directed Tamil Nadu Revenue Administration Commissioner and the Revenue Secretary to visit Port Blair and take steps for the appropriate medical treatment of the rescued persons. Further, I have asked that the rescued persons be sent back to Chennai by flight at government expense," Jayalalithaa said in a statement.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also expressed shock over the tragedy. An official statement said, "The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh has expressed shock over the boat tragedy in the Andamans and has condoled the loss of lives." The PM has asked India's national agencies to help in rescue and relief operations.
The TN government has opened a helpline number, 1070, to share information regarding the incident.
Toll-free helpline numbers - 03192-240137, 230178, 238881
Helpline numbers at the GB Pant Hospital: 03192-230629/9933274092
Local helpline number: 102
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones