NBA Trade News: Rajon Rondo for Ricky Rubio Swap Could Happen, Boston Celtics, Minnesota Timberwolves Likely Trade Partners
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 27, 2014 9:44 AM EST
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo will continue to stay on the hot seat as the trade deadline draws near. The latest trade rumor swirling around Rondo is the possibility of a trade between the Celtics and the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo surprised pretty much everyone Sunday night during halftime of Game 4 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals when he made a comment alleging that the Miami Heat were "crying to referees" during the first half of the game.
No matter how hard general manager Danny Ainge stressed that Rondo is unavailable to trade, many basketball followers and insiders are still expecting the Celtics to move Rondo before he walks away without getting assets in return in the summer of 2015.
Rondo is just coming off an almost year-long rehabilitation after suffering a torn ACL injury last season. In his first few games since returning from the injury, the All-Star playmaker is averaging 5.0 points and 5.5 assist per game, but his unusually low production will increase as soon as he gets more time on the floor.
Draft Night Decision
Making a deal for Rondo could be a draft night decision for the Celtics, who are looking to add young pieces to their roster. Rondo is clearly the team's best player and at the same time their biggest trade asset. The Celtics might use the remaining games of the season to see Rondo recover from a serious injury.
Trading Rondo at the 2014 Draft would allow the Celtics to move up on the draft board or collect more high picks, in the event they missed the chance to land the top-3 spots in the draft.
Names like Andrew Wiggins of Kansas Jayhawks, Julious Randle of Kentucky Wildcats and Jabbari Parker of Duke Blue Devils will be available in a very deep draft class. Chances are there will more All-Star caliber talents in the second round, so it would be a priority for the Celtic front office to get more picks.
Celtics - Timberwolves trade
Like the Celtics, the Timberwolves are also worried about the future with Kevin Love reportedly bolting out in 2015 for the chance to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers or perhaps with the New York Knicks.
Ricky Rubio has been a fine pass-first point guard in the league, but his lack of offensive arsenals has limited the T-Wolves to break through a very competitive Western Conference playoff race.
A Rubio - Rondo swap is a must explore issue for the Celtics. With all the young talents the Celtics have, the team clearly needs a great facilitator like Rubio to get things going. On the other hand, the T-Wolves could make Love happy by bringing an All-Star caliber player in Rondo.
The T-Wolves had already shown interest in Rondo few years ago, and it would not be a surprise to see them knocking on the Celtics' door once again.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown