NBA Trade News: Rajon Rondo for Ricky Rubio Swap Could Happen, Boston Celtics, Minnesota Timberwolves Likely Trade Partners
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 27, 2014 9:44 AM EST
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo will continue to stay on the hot seat as the trade deadline draws near. The latest trade rumor swirling around Rondo is the possibility of a trade between the Celtics and the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo surprised pretty much everyone Sunday night during halftime of Game 4 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals when he made a comment alleging that the Miami Heat were "crying to referees" during the first half of the game.
No matter how hard general manager Danny Ainge stressed that Rondo is unavailable to trade, many basketball followers and insiders are still expecting the Celtics to move Rondo before he walks away without getting assets in return in the summer of 2015.
Rondo is just coming off an almost year-long rehabilitation after suffering a torn ACL injury last season. In his first few games since returning from the injury, the All-Star playmaker is averaging 5.0 points and 5.5 assist per game, but his unusually low production will increase as soon as he gets more time on the floor.
Draft Night Decision
Making a deal for Rondo could be a draft night decision for the Celtics, who are looking to add young pieces to their roster. Rondo is clearly the team's best player and at the same time their biggest trade asset. The Celtics might use the remaining games of the season to see Rondo recover from a serious injury.
Trading Rondo at the 2014 Draft would allow the Celtics to move up on the draft board or collect more high picks, in the event they missed the chance to land the top-3 spots in the draft.
Names like Andrew Wiggins of Kansas Jayhawks, Julious Randle of Kentucky Wildcats and Jabbari Parker of Duke Blue Devils will be available in a very deep draft class. Chances are there will more All-Star caliber talents in the second round, so it would be a priority for the Celtic front office to get more picks.
Celtics - Timberwolves trade
Like the Celtics, the Timberwolves are also worried about the future with Kevin Love reportedly bolting out in 2015 for the chance to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers or perhaps with the New York Knicks.
Ricky Rubio has been a fine pass-first point guard in the league, but his lack of offensive arsenals has limited the T-Wolves to break through a very competitive Western Conference playoff race.
A Rubio - Rondo swap is a must explore issue for the Celtics. With all the young talents the Celtics have, the team clearly needs a great facilitator like Rubio to get things going. On the other hand, the T-Wolves could make Love happy by bringing an All-Star caliber player in Rondo.
The T-Wolves had already shown interest in Rondo few years ago, and it would not be a surprise to see them knocking on the Celtics' door once again.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date