NBA Trade News: Rajon Rondo for Ricky Rubio Swap Could Happen, Boston Celtics, Minnesota Timberwolves Likely Trade Partners
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 27, 2014 9:44 AM EST
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo will continue to stay on the hot seat as the trade deadline draws near. The latest trade rumor swirling around Rondo is the possibility of a trade between the Celtics and the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo surprised pretty much everyone Sunday night during halftime of Game 4 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals when he made a comment alleging that the Miami Heat were "crying to referees" during the first half of the game.
No matter how hard general manager Danny Ainge stressed that Rondo is unavailable to trade, many basketball followers and insiders are still expecting the Celtics to move Rondo before he walks away without getting assets in return in the summer of 2015.
Rondo is just coming off an almost year-long rehabilitation after suffering a torn ACL injury last season. In his first few games since returning from the injury, the All-Star playmaker is averaging 5.0 points and 5.5 assist per game, but his unusually low production will increase as soon as he gets more time on the floor.
Draft Night Decision
Making a deal for Rondo could be a draft night decision for the Celtics, who are looking to add young pieces to their roster. Rondo is clearly the team's best player and at the same time their biggest trade asset. The Celtics might use the remaining games of the season to see Rondo recover from a serious injury.
Trading Rondo at the 2014 Draft would allow the Celtics to move up on the draft board or collect more high picks, in the event they missed the chance to land the top-3 spots in the draft.
Names like Andrew Wiggins of Kansas Jayhawks, Julious Randle of Kentucky Wildcats and Jabbari Parker of Duke Blue Devils will be available in a very deep draft class. Chances are there will more All-Star caliber talents in the second round, so it would be a priority for the Celtic front office to get more picks.
Celtics - Timberwolves trade
Like the Celtics, the Timberwolves are also worried about the future with Kevin Love reportedly bolting out in 2015 for the chance to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers or perhaps with the New York Knicks.
Ricky Rubio has been a fine pass-first point guard in the league, but his lack of offensive arsenals has limited the T-Wolves to break through a very competitive Western Conference playoff race.
A Rubio - Rondo swap is a must explore issue for the Celtics. With all the young talents the Celtics have, the team clearly needs a great facilitator like Rubio to get things going. On the other hand, the T-Wolves could make Love happy by bringing an All-Star caliber player in Rondo.
The T-Wolves had already shown interest in Rondo few years ago, and it would not be a surprise to see them knocking on the Celtics' door once again.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage