Winning the Grand Slam Title for the Underdogs: Stanislas Wawrinka is the 2014 Australian Open Champion
By James Patrick Quizon | January 27, 2014 7:46 AM EST
Nobody gave Stanislas Wawrinka a chance.
Pre-tournament, sports betting lines pegged him at 54.00 to win the 2014 Australian Open men’s title. For betting newbies, that means that a $100 bet on the Swiss would have netted a $5,400 payout—far cry from the usual suspects and favourites Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic who were priced between 2.00 to 5.00 ($100 would have won $200 or $500, respectively).
Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland poses with the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup after defeating Rafael Nadal of Spain in their men's singles final match at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne
This was neither insult nor disrespect, after all those two—along with Andy Murray and Roger Federer were the only players to win a Majors title since 2005.
In his match against Djokovic in the quarterfinals, he was priced at 8.00 in the money line to win the match. Again, not a slight to the Swiss but because of the Serbian’s streak—Djoke won 15 of 17 matches against Stan including fourteen straight!
Alas, the underdog won in their 18th meeting as Wawrinka hacked out the 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 9-7 victory in yet another classic between the two rivals.
Against Tomas Berdcyh of Czech Republic in the semifinals, the books started to notice. Wawrinka was the favourite against the Czech and was pegged at 1.74 to win the match. He delivered the 6-3, 6-7 (1), 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4) victory and booked a place in the championship round.
When the finals rolled— Rafael Nadal of Spain, Wawrinka had to take the backseat in the bookies line once again and was priced at 5.00 to win the match against the world number one. No surprise again, as the Spaniard took a dozen wins in a dozen match-ups with the Swiss.
Yet, the underdog once again delivered. Even before Nadal experienced an injury in the second set—apparently of back spasms—Wawrinka was already dominating perhaps the best tennis player in the world. Wawrinka took the first set rather easily, 6-3 and was leading 2-0 in the second set before Nadal left for a medical timeout.
Nadal returned some seven minutes later to a booing Rod Laver Arena and still a motivated Wawrinka, who took the second, 6-2. He finished off Nadal in four sets.
From the tournament’s 8th seed to a Grand Slam champion. Wawrinka became the first man to beat both the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked players on the way to a Majors title since 1993. And he did it in his first Grand Slam final appearance.
Tennis’ Big Four—Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray—might want to make notice. Wawrinka has arrived and he’s not planning to go away from here on out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers