2014 Boxing News: Larry Merchant Says Mayweather Jr. vs. Pacquiao Fight Will Happen
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 26, 2014 11:45 PM EST
Veteran Boxing Analyst Larry Merchant admitted he's still craving for a showdown between pound-for-pound greats Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. during an interview with Boxing Scene.
Merchant, a well respected boxing pundit, said he's not losing hope that one day he would witness Pacquiao and Mayweather toe-to-toe inside the boxing ring, although the megafight will feature two great fighters past their prime.
Manny Pacquiao could fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the future
"I've been telling people for three or four years that I thought it would happen, and I've been consistently wrong," Merchant told Boxing Scene. "So I don't claim to be an expert on that."
"Obviously, there are other considerations for both of them. They've made a lot of fights. They've made a lot of money," he added. "It's not going to happen any time real soon."
Not So Prime Fighters
Merchant said Pacquiao's latest dare challenging Money May to a charity fight won't help speed up the arrangement for their mega-showdown. But he believed the fight will eventually take place in the future and this will still generate tremendous buzz in the boxing community despite it will showcase two legendary fighters in the twilight of their boxing days.
"Listen, Tyson and Lewis didn't happen in their primes, and yet it was a huge event when it happened," he said. "So, is it conceivable? Yes. But I think there's a question about Manny, and whether he's the Manny of story and song, whether he's really going to be an elite fighter for very long."
Tyson and Lewis met each other for the undisputed heavyweight title in 2002. The fight set gate receipts and pay-per-view buys revenue at that time - only to be broken by Floyd Mayweather vs. Oscar De La Hoya slugfest in 2007.
Meanwhile, Pacquiao and Mayweather should have taken each other earlier but both camps have failed to come up with an agreement due to disputes on blood testing, money sharing and the ongoing cold war between Bob Arum's Top Rank and De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.
Pacquiao will reportedly fight Timothy Bradley in a rematch on April 12 while Mayweather has yet to announce his next foe. But his next appearance is already set on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Fore more 2014 Boxing News update, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored