Manchester United and Chelsea Confirm Juan Mata Deal; Michael Essien Joins AC Milan
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 25, 2014 9:02 PM EST
Manchester United have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Chelsea for the transfer of playmaker Juan Mata for a club-record fee, thought to be around £37m.
Juan Mata has joined Manchester United
The Red Devils have been in negotiations with the Blues for the Spain international throughout this week and the deal has now been completed. The 25-year-old will now join United after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms.
"Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement with Chelsea Football Club for the transfer of Juan Mata for a club-record fee. The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms. A further announcement will be made in due course," read a statement on the United's website.
Chelsea, who snapped up Basel's Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah as a replacement on Friday, have also confirmed the departure of Mata.
"Chelsea Football Club has reached an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of Juan Mata. The move is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms," the club stated.
Mata, who joined from Valencia in 2011 for £23m, is expected to cost United in the region of £37m. The Red Devils' previous record transfer was the £30.75m they paid to Tottenham Hotspur for striker Dimitar Berbatov in 2008.
Mata was Chelsea' Player of the Year in his first two seasons at the club but fell down the pecking order after Jose Mourinho took charge at Stamford Bridge this summer, and has managed just 14 starts in all competitions so far this season.
Meanwhile, Chelsea has also confirmed the sale of Mata's fellow midfielder Michael Essien to AC Milan.
The 31-year-old Ghana international has also been out-of-favour at Stamford Bridge for quite some time. Essien will now link up with his idol and new Rossoneri manager Clarence Seedorf in Italy.
"Chelsea Football Club and AC Milan have reached an agreement for the transfer of Michael Essien to the Serie A side. Essien has travelled to Italy and the completion of the move is subject to him agreeing personal terms with Milan and passing a medical examination," the Blues announced.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James