Manchester United and Chelsea Confirm Juan Mata Deal; Michael Essien Joins AC Milan
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 25, 2014 9:02 PM EST
Manchester United have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Chelsea for the transfer of playmaker Juan Mata for a club-record fee, thought to be around £37m.
Juan Mata has joined Manchester United
The Red Devils have been in negotiations with the Blues for the Spain international throughout this week and the deal has now been completed. The 25-year-old will now join United after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms.
"Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement with Chelsea Football Club for the transfer of Juan Mata for a club-record fee. The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms. A further announcement will be made in due course," read a statement on the United's website.
Chelsea, who snapped up Basel's Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah as a replacement on Friday, have also confirmed the departure of Mata.
"Chelsea Football Club has reached an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of Juan Mata. The move is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms," the club stated.
Mata, who joined from Valencia in 2011 for £23m, is expected to cost United in the region of £37m. The Red Devils' previous record transfer was the £30.75m they paid to Tottenham Hotspur for striker Dimitar Berbatov in 2008.
Mata was Chelsea' Player of the Year in his first two seasons at the club but fell down the pecking order after Jose Mourinho took charge at Stamford Bridge this summer, and has managed just 14 starts in all competitions so far this season.
Meanwhile, Chelsea has also confirmed the sale of Mata's fellow midfielder Michael Essien to AC Milan.
The 31-year-old Ghana international has also been out-of-favour at Stamford Bridge for quite some time. Essien will now link up with his idol and new Rossoneri manager Clarence Seedorf in Italy.
"Chelsea Football Club and AC Milan have reached an agreement for the transfer of Michael Essien to the Serie A side. Essien has travelled to Italy and the completion of the move is subject to him agreeing personal terms with Milan and passing a medical examination," the Blues announced.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date