Manchester United and Chelsea Confirm Juan Mata Deal; Michael Essien Joins AC Milan
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 25, 2014 9:02 PM EST
Manchester United have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Chelsea for the transfer of playmaker Juan Mata for a club-record fee, thought to be around £37m.
Juan Mata has joined Manchester United
The Red Devils have been in negotiations with the Blues for the Spain international throughout this week and the deal has now been completed. The 25-year-old will now join United after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms.
"Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement with Chelsea Football Club for the transfer of Juan Mata for a club-record fee. The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms. A further announcement will be made in due course," read a statement on the United's website.
Chelsea, who snapped up Basel's Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah as a replacement on Friday, have also confirmed the departure of Mata.
"Chelsea Football Club has reached an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of Juan Mata. The move is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms," the club stated.
Mata, who joined from Valencia in 2011 for £23m, is expected to cost United in the region of £37m. The Red Devils' previous record transfer was the £30.75m they paid to Tottenham Hotspur for striker Dimitar Berbatov in 2008.
Mata was Chelsea' Player of the Year in his first two seasons at the club but fell down the pecking order after Jose Mourinho took charge at Stamford Bridge this summer, and has managed just 14 starts in all competitions so far this season.
Meanwhile, Chelsea has also confirmed the sale of Mata's fellow midfielder Michael Essien to AC Milan.
The 31-year-old Ghana international has also been out-of-favour at Stamford Bridge for quite some time. Essien will now link up with his idol and new Rossoneri manager Clarence Seedorf in Italy.
"Chelsea Football Club and AC Milan have reached an agreement for the transfer of Michael Essien to the Serie A side. Essien has travelled to Italy and the completion of the move is subject to him agreeing personal terms with Milan and passing a medical examination," the Blues announced.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown