Manchester United and Chelsea Confirm Juan Mata Deal; Michael Essien Joins AC Milan
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 25, 2014 9:02 PM EST
Manchester United have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Chelsea for the transfer of playmaker Juan Mata for a club-record fee, thought to be around £37m.
Juan Mata has joined Manchester United
The Red Devils have been in negotiations with the Blues for the Spain international throughout this week and the deal has now been completed. The 25-year-old will now join United after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms.
"Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement with Chelsea Football Club for the transfer of Juan Mata for a club-record fee. The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms. A further announcement will be made in due course," read a statement on the United's website.
Chelsea, who snapped up Basel's Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah as a replacement on Friday, have also confirmed the departure of Mata.
"Chelsea Football Club has reached an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of Juan Mata. The move is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms," the club stated.
Mata, who joined from Valencia in 2011 for £23m, is expected to cost United in the region of £37m. The Red Devils' previous record transfer was the £30.75m they paid to Tottenham Hotspur for striker Dimitar Berbatov in 2008.
Mata was Chelsea' Player of the Year in his first two seasons at the club but fell down the pecking order after Jose Mourinho took charge at Stamford Bridge this summer, and has managed just 14 starts in all competitions so far this season.
Meanwhile, Chelsea has also confirmed the sale of Mata's fellow midfielder Michael Essien to AC Milan.
The 31-year-old Ghana international has also been out-of-favour at Stamford Bridge for quite some time. Essien will now link up with his idol and new Rossoneri manager Clarence Seedorf in Italy.
"Chelsea Football Club and AC Milan have reached an agreement for the transfer of Michael Essien to the Serie A side. Essien has travelled to Italy and the completion of the move is subject to him agreeing personal terms with Milan and passing a medical examination," the Blues announced.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report